Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We must de-stigmatize eugenics
We must de-stigmatize eugenics
1) Would you prefer to marry a good-looking man or woman?

2) Would you abort if you knew your child would have Down's syndrome?

If you answered "Yes" to any of these questions, you already support eugenics.

No one doubts that it is immoral to involuntarily sterilize individuals let alone entire races. But all parents want healthy children and in 15 years, we will even have genetic tests for mental illnesses. It would be immoral not to abort if you knew your fetus had all the genes for schizophrenia. 

We ought to free the word eugenics from the stigma it has been received thanks to the Nazis and others. I'd wager that most of the research in genetics today is going to be used in eugenics in the future, regardless of whether we refer to it that way.
RE: We must de-stigmatize eugenics
You would say that..though, wouldn't you?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(August 15, 2018 at 7:55 pm)Khemikal Wrote: You would say that..though, wouldn't you?

I say it despite the fact that I suffer from bipolar disorder myself. If you knew your fetus had the genes for bipolar, you should abort.
No thanks.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I don't agree with "must" but I do think it's practiced in one fashion or another by a lot of people already.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Eugenics: the science of improving a human population by controlled breeding to increase the occurrence of desirable heritable characteristics.

Nope.  People make alot of reproductive decisions....that doesn't mean that they're engaging in eugenics.

Eugenics can remain the fucked up nazi shit it's always been. It's stigmatized for good reason, and should remain so -forever-.
You won't support eugenics when I unveil "Ed".

Dying to live, living to die.
Preferring good looking people is selective breeding. Not eugenics. Eugenics is bad, because it presumes we can control exactly what people will get by only focusing on certain people, and removing the rest. There is of course the issue of who should be included in this "good looking" group. Are we going to start seeing people breed for tiny waists, and huge boobs/butts? Or do we pick other factors? Are only white people considered good looking? How far do we go to make sure other groups don't breed?

The best thing to do is let people take their own risks, and make their own decisions.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Eugenics rests on the flawed assumption that the steering humanities genes will not have an negative effects in the long run . Sure  you have wiped out condition X but how do you know that in terminating the carrier of gene X you have wiped out a whole bunch i highly beneficial genes as well.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(August 15, 2018 at 8:40 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Preferring good looking people is selective breeding. Not eugenics. Eugenics is bad, because it presumes we can control exactly what people will get by only focusing on certain people, and removing the rest. There is of course the issue of who should be included in this "good looking" group. Are we going to start seeing people breed for tiny waists, and huge boobs/butts? Or do we pick other factors? Are only white people considered good looking? How far do we go to make sure other groups don't breed?

The best thing to do is let people take their own risks, and make their own decisions.

(My bold) That's precisely what I advocated in my OP.

No one should be prevented from breeding but we must let expectant parents make optimal decisions that ensure healthy offspring.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Editing the "germ line" with CRISPR AKA "eugenics" Duty 9 1049 March 26, 2020 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  It must be true, because it's a Catholic study Foxaèr 15 1807 January 14, 2018 at 6:38 am
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Eugenics/Designer-babies... is the concept really that bad? Aoi Magi 112 11289 August 16, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  What do you think about Eugenics? Twisted 47 7473 June 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Eugenics EgoRaptor 18 3110 January 29, 2014 at 10:45 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  The Earth must be older than 7000 years, then! pocaracas 5 2687 April 25, 2013 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Must all be proven? zoso 90 25559 December 1, 2009 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious