Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 8:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The universe is just one enormous 'Soul Filtering machine'
RE: The universe is just one enormous 'Soul Filtering machine'
The OP summarizes one of the main reasons why I became an atheist.  Maybe, if a person is ignorant of evolution, of the age of the earth, what the stars are, the billions upon billions of other galaxies and the unfathomable distances even in our own solar system . . . Maybe, if a person only has knowledge of a small area of earth and believes that god watches everything and that illness is caused by sin and drought means god is mad at you . . . Just maybe, that person would find the bible narrative believable.  But now, you have to have it hammered into your brain as a child, and you have to not ask questions.  Questions like why a deity (who created all the universe, and apparently killed the dinosaurs to make room for apes) would appear only to a tiny tribe living in an area smaller than Lake Michigan?  Why is this deity's mode of communication so incompetent?  What about the millions of people who lived before the Habaru tribes split from other Canaanite tribes and decided they weren't going to eat any more pork or shellfish?  Nothing makes sense here, nothing is rational.  Any deity who actually created the planet would know that there was never a Garden of Eden and no original sin and no great flood or tower of babel . . . and that the earth is round and that the stars are not fixed in the dome of the sky.
And souls - - - the afterlife - - - these make no sense either, no matter how lovely it may be to fantasize that one's consciousness will never be extinguished.  
When I think of the vastness of the universe and the insignificance of the Earth - - - it just hammers the ridiculousness of religion into my brain.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein

Messages In This Thread
RE: The universe is just one enormous 'Soul Filtering machine' - by drfuzzy - September 26, 2017 at 2:29 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Age of the Universe/Earth Ferrocyanide 31 4090 January 8, 2020 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  No-one under 25 in iceland believes god created the universe downbeatplumb 8 1804 August 19, 2018 at 7:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  I lost my Soul GoneGuy 212 31339 August 5, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. SavedByGraceThruFaith 2761 762554 September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What does the (hypothetical) soul take with it? emjay 37 8406 April 14, 2015 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7318 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  In order for Jesus to change your soul first he has to break your spirit. Zidneya 6 2349 August 1, 2014 at 2:18 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Accidental Time Machine (SPOILER THREAD) atheist04330 10 2734 July 21, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The universe appears "old", but it is still less than 10,000 years old Justtristo 402 222674 March 4, 2014 at 4:23 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  How do you get from "beginning of the universe" to christianity? Chad32 56 15951 January 19, 2014 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Lek