Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 3:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do religious people justify raising and slaughtering animals for food?
RE: How do religious people justify raising and slaughtering animals for food?
(November 30, 2017 at 3:50 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(November 30, 2017 at 3:10 am)Godscreated Wrote: Simple God gave man dominion over the animals and after the flood God told man he could eat meat. Put those two things together and you have Christians raising animals to slaughter for food.

Actually, I think you just read that in a book somewhere.  Why you choose to slavishly follow the examples given in that specific book is the real moral conundrum for you.  The answer to which appears to be that "you just do."

On a lighter note, the actual passage in the bible reads as follows:
Quote:26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [ak]sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28 God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the [al]sky and over every living thing that [am]moves on the earth.” 29 Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the [an]surface of all the earth, and every tree [ao]which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30 and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the [ap]sky and to every thing that [aq]moves on the earth [ar]which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so. 31 God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Genesis 1:26-31, NASB

It does indeed say that God chose man to rule over them, but that only raises the question of what rulership entails, and specifically whether or not God expects you to be good stewards of this dominion.  Are factory farming techniques which induce unnecessary suffering in the animals an example of what God expects of you, or are you simply given free reign to use and abuse these resources as you see fit?

I think you ... at least I thought everyone would understand that I support the ethical treatment of animals. So to set things in perspective I do not endorse the unethical treatment of animals, just as I do not support abortions. It's never made sense to me that people who do support the killing of the unborn who do have feeling, would cry so loudly over the mistreatment of animals.

I have no moral conundrum with the Bible, it is now a book that teaches me how to live in a relationship with God and my fellow man. It has been the money grubbing people of this planet who have been exploiting it and the animals and they have nearly destroyed it. People who follow foolish practices by using animal parts to sustain their virility, to halt or at least hinder the aging process. using the skins of exotic animals to make coats so they can impress their peers and all the other foolishness they do, these things are not what God wanted of man when He gave man dominion over the animals, we were to protect them from abuses of all kinds.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do religious people justify raising and slaughtering animals for food? - by Godscreated - November 30, 2017 at 4:52 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1122 79800 11 hours ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 12982 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 666 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How do christens justify child molestation? AngryAtheist666 47 3879 February 15, 2021 at 5:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Noah and animals AniKoferBo 52 3496 January 28, 2021 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: no one
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7114 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 5065 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Religious texts used to manipulate people Foxaèr 13 3815 June 10, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Do Nonhuman Animals Have Souls? chimp3 42 6935 April 13, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  Sacred and unclean animals zebo-the-fat 14 3312 July 23, 2017 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: chimp3