Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sacred and unclean animals
Sacred and unclean animals
In ancient Egypt pigs were considered as sacred
In Karnataka, India Serpent deities are worshiped
In Hinduism cattle’s are considered to be holy
In Islam and Judaism the pig is considered unclean
Who decides these things, if a new animal was discovered in the deepest Amazonian forests, who would decide if was just another animal, sacred or unclean, what tests would be used to decide this?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Sacred and unclean animals
Historically, I'd say the decision was a political/financial one. (Aren't they all?)

(If any new species of animals were found in the deepest Amazonian forests, I don't think religios are going to bother with it at all as it will be a rare and endangered species to start with.)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Quote:Who decides these things

Men wearing stupid hats.

[Image: religious-hats-4.jpg]
I consider the vagina sacred but that never stopped me from eating it.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I worship camel toes.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 23, 2017 at 6:24 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: In ancient Egypt pigs were considered as sacred
In Karnataka, India Serpent deities are worshiped
In Hinduism cattle’s are considered to be holy
In Islam and Judaism the pig is considered unclean
Who decides these things, if a new animal was discovered in the deepest Amazonian forests, who would decide if was just another animal, sacred or unclean, what tests would be used to decide this?

Since it isn't scientific, I'd say the person or people who started those myths in antiquity decided and successfully sold those myths.

I would say however, those gap filling avoiding certain animals might have resulted in seeing people get sick from not fully cooking certain animal meat and had no clue what bacteria or toxins were. They might have come to the false conclusion that the animal had magic powers over their lives and thus exalted the animal as being something to protect. 

But just like holy clothing it is simply another superstition humans make up and buy and sell as a form of gap filling.

There are real health reasons you avoid certain foods and why you cook raw meat. But no, neither pigs or cows have any magic ability to affect where you go in an after life that does not exist.
I agree that animals being considered clean was likely due to the ruling class liking those animals for whatever reason, and considering something unclean is likely because of illness due to poorly cooking the meat, or because the animal behaved in a manner that Humans would consider bad, or whatever. A common way for animals to keep bugs off of them is rolling around in the dirt, or staying cool by dipping themselves in mud, but all the Humans could see was the animal being very dirty and unappealing.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(July 23, 2017 at 11:46 am)chimp3 Wrote: I consider the vagina sacred but that never stopped me from eating it.

SIN EATER!!!!!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
In some cases it was said to be that unclean animals resembled the demonic/devilish entities of whatever flavor of faith was infecting that area.

But I have another hypothesis about that, which also has to do with my hypothesis about why there are prohibitions against homosexuality in the bible; some shepherd with a lot of land was expecting a tidy dowry, and then his son ran off with a stable boy instead of going through with the marriage, so he lost out on the chance to expand. So he bitched about it to a friend who happened to be one of the holy order, and wham bam thank you ma'am, buttfucking becomes an abomination. Substitute stable boy for farm animal of your choice, and you get unclean animals. Also very likely one of these assholes trod on a sea urchin and said the same thing about anything in the water that wasn't a fish being an abomination afterward.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
Yes, they used Pan, a satyr god, as a template for what Satan looks like, and suddenly goats are bad. And I guess it does suck pretty hard when your first born son would rather chase boys around than marry a girl that the parents could profit from. That could be one explanation for why homosexuality is considered so bad. You need kids so you can get more boys into the military, and girls to form marriage alliances, and homosexuality just screws things up.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Noah and animals AniKoferBo 52 3244 January 28, 2021 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: no one
  An Atheist Tries on Sacred Mormon Underwear AFTT47 7 1168 May 27, 2019 at 1:21 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Do Nonhuman Animals Have Souls? chimp3 42 6766 April 13, 2018 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: JackRussell
  How do religious people justify raising and slaughtering animals for food? Alexmahone 113 12544 December 6, 2017 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Little Rik
  "sacred" spaces - just musing drfuzzy 29 3587 April 15, 2016 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, mystical and/or religious? Whateverist 62 12600 August 30, 2014 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Have you had experiences you'd describe as sacred, spiritual and/or religious? Whateverist 0 1371 August 19, 2014 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Do animals have free Will? Forsaken 80 38621 April 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Marriage is sacred, unless the spouse has Alzheimer's disease.. leo-rcc 11 4136 September 16, 2011 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused