Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough.
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough.
(March 26, 2018 at 2:22 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Maybe they thought it was a mirror?

Quote:We are trying to get more vets to heat-treat the serum before antigen testing. You know to ask, so you're way ahead of most people. Heat that serum! (and we're also trying to get people to quit practicing the "slow kill" method, but that's a different story).

Ivermectin ( Heartguard, etc) works fine as a preventative by killing any of the larvae that it finds but it is best used on a monthly basis so gaps do not occur in the regimen which might allow larvae to hatch.  Again in places where mosquitos are ubiquitous it is a must for any responsible dog owner.  But I've never heard any vet suggest not using Immiticide to kill any adult worms already present.  The ones that are there will continue to grow and sooner or later there will be problems.
Ivermectin also has the added benefit of killing various intestinal parasites a dog may pick up like roundworms and hookworms.  Again, in humid areas where mosquitos are common, so are those parasites. 

The biggest problem with Immiticide is the need to keep the dog quiet for two months after completion of the injections so that the dead worms do not break off and head for the lungs where they can cause a pulmonary embolism and therefore a dead dog.  It is not even a particularly expensive treatment but a lot of people don't want to deal with the idea of having to keep a dog quiet for that long.  What can I say.  Some people are idiots.

Ivermectin and its ilk kills the microfilariae and the larvae. Melarsomine (Immiticide) kills adult worms, and to date, is the only drug available to do so. These are two completely different drugs with different purposes. There are several reasons the slow kill method is not recommended by the American Heartworm Society, least of which is, if you are waiting for the worms to die of old age, (which is basically what you are doing), they can do significant damage to the pulmonary vessels of your dog. I won't bore you with those details but here's a link. 
https://www.heartwormsociety.org/resourc...cga2lsbCJd

And I swear I am not being argumentative, just nerdy: Ivermectin in heartworm preventative doses will not control intestinal parasites. Only heartworm preventative combined with another drug (usually pyrantel) will do that.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Mermaid - March 26, 2018 at 3:30 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Dom - September 27, 2018 at 3:59 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Joods - September 27, 2018 at 10:11 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Joods - September 27, 2018 at 10:23 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Joods - September 30, 2018 at 10:00 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Joods - September 30, 2018 at 10:11 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Joods - September 30, 2018 at 10:22 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Photos Tiberius 20280 4482855 April 11, 2024 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Two warnings, already - i'm not going to be here much longer Prof.Lunaphiles 43 9306 April 25, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  As much as I'd like to, I shouldn't forego a formal introduction Gol Dernitt 22 2665 August 9, 2019 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  I never introduced myself shadow 14 3698 July 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I drank too much wine... and now I shall grace you all with my unstable presence. Anatheist 42 8170 May 20, 2015 at 9:41 am
Last Post: Regina
  Better late than never...! DangerousElf 4 1414 September 6, 2014 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Much Hello Beardio1 20 3525 April 27, 2013 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
Wink Hope its not too late! WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth 9 4212 July 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: C.W. Sims
  ..been lurking for far too long Ben Davis 15 5540 March 6, 2012 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  It never felt right Nyx 21 4921 January 23, 2012 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Cinjin