Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better late than never...!
Better late than never...!
I was excited to find this forum! The comment section on YouTube videos for The Atheist Experience was getting a little thin. My restless mind is in need of some exercise, and discussing things I find topically invigorating is like calisthenics.

At 55, I'm a latecomer to my realization; hence, my title, "Better late than never...!"

I think I almost TRIPPED over the search for truth; I was dealing on other sites with people who had some primitively stupid outlooks on things, usually politics and the structure of society, and something just seemed to break loose. I started to examine every little aspect of the faith I'd been raised with (which had undergone REVISION, but not true examination); suffice it to say, said faith didn't survive in the light of reason! (TAE host Matt Dillahunty's explanations went a long way to exposing that light, too -- he's a pretty smart fella!)

Anyway, I HAVE to be reasonable, so as to not be painted into a corner, therefore I stand on the "agnostic atheist" pillar -- no proofs FOR, no proofs AGAINST, so "I don't know" is the base position -- and I'm more amazed DAILY at how vapid the theist positions ARE!

I have a teen daughter, who has 'come out' to share similar beliefs; she recently confessed to me her unexpressed HATRED of Sunday dresses! She seemed to know sooner than I did.... What set her 'over the edge' was a mini-lecture from her mom's new husband; while talking to her about her performance in helping out with a toddler nephew, he equated her level of care NOW with her level of care for a child of her own in the future -- and followed it up by saying outright that "be fruitful and multiply" OBLIGATED her to reproduce! (That was the 'double-tap' for any shred of faith I had left by then....)

So we are a quiet basket of atheism in a close-knit family of knee-jerk theists; keep us in your thoughts and reasons, folks, thank you......
RE: Better late than never...!
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Lucky your daughter has a good role model to be a voice of reason in her life. No need to make babies if you don't want to. I'm glad you joined and it's nice to meet you! Big Grin
Make yourself at home and enjoy these welcome cookies. Wink
[Image: elfonshelfclose.jpg~original]
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(September 6, 2014 at 11:02 pm)Losty Wrote: Lucky your daughter has a good role model to be a voice of reason in her life. No need to make babies if you don't want to. I'm glad you joined and it's nice to meet you! Big Grin
Make yourself at home and enjoy these welcome cookies. Wink
[Image: elfonshelfclose.jpg~original]

Losty and her cookies ♡
ALL PRAISE THE ONE TRUE GOD ZALGO

Welcome
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. Whateverist 1183 124995 48 minutes ago
Last Post: Fireball
  I never introduced myself shadow 14 3685 July 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Some big changes as of late... phoenix31 26 2025 January 28, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: flagbears
  Back again with a better head. LivingNumbers6.626 16 1936 July 6, 2016 at 7:46 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Late introduction Razzle 22 4875 August 22, 2015 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: loganonekenobi
  A late introduction haha Regina 20 4204 January 30, 2015 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Regina
  I hope it's not late to post one Sterben 30 4436 December 10, 2014 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Sterben
  Please let this be better then the other af. Indiveren 46 10453 December 5, 2014 at 2:42 am
Last Post: Cyberman
Rainbow My intro brings all the forumers to my thread. Damn right, its better than yours. TheStateIsALie 54 15150 July 16, 2013 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Rayaan
Tongue Late to the Intro party LeoVonFrost 9 2257 June 30, 2013 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: Aractus