Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough.
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough.
(November 6, 2018 at 9:23 pm)anjele Wrote: We adopted Lady in 2007.  She was found as a very young pup in a box in a parking lot.  She was with a brother and a sister.  The brother didn't make it.  She loved my son and I equally.  Since our work schedules differed, that worked out quite well.  Her favorite places to be were either in my son's bed or snuggled on my chest.  

In October 2009 I was getting ready to have a bilateral mastectomy and was quite worried about Lady as she was going to be grieved to not be able to snuggle with/on me when Alex was at work so I got her a dog.  My Chopper...the first Cavalier we had.  Lady took to him immediately and took over as mother to him.  Sadly in 2016 we lost Chopper early in the year and Lady in the fall.  Though she was having some health issues, I still think she grieved herself to death over his death.  

I hope you're out of the woods and feeling well now.

(November 6, 2018 at 9:23 pm)anjele Wrote: I miss them both every day.

Along the way we got Karma.  She and Lady got along great and poor Karm glued herself to my husband after the loss of Lady and Chop.  She really never bonded with Ziggy (who we got nearly three years ago.) like she had with Lady and Chop.  Here's a picture of the girls gabbing by the pool and soaking up some sun.

You are a good doggy momma.

(November 6, 2018 at 9:23 pm)anjele Wrote: A picture of young Ziggy and Lady before she got real sick.

She was a damn good dog and is missed every day.

Sorry you take their loss so hard. I have a lot of friends who do as well. I dread it but accept the inevitable, and try to reinvest in the new pup right away. I can tell you do that as well. (Plus you've diversified your holdings even more than me.) I've taken to having two on hand for my peace of mind and comfort. At some point I'll have to make sure I have a concrete plan for rehoming any dog that survives me. I sort of do informally now but at some point it may take on some urgency.

(November 6, 2018 at 9:23 pm)anjele Wrote: The mean ole cat (Blue) was adopted from a local shelter about five years ago when he was so tiny he could fit in my hand.  That's far from the case any more...he's a big cat.  He and the dogs have gotten along to varying degrees...Karm acts like he doesn't exist and Quinn can't figure out why he isn't up for crazy puppy shenanigans.  For a time after Lady died he took over her bed...something he had never done before.

I envy you the cat. If I outlast my wife I will definitely have a cat on the team. Would love to have the cross species interaction.

(November 6, 2018 at 9:23 pm)anjele Wrote: Then there is the nutty damn African Grey (Chewy) we adopted about 25 years ago.  She is antisocial when it comes to physical contact...thanks in large part to treatment she received before we got her..but she can be pretty gabby and we enjoy her.  Here's a picture of her on a nice day enjoying time on the deck and munching on a Pringles.  I don't bake for my husband but I do bake for Chewch and our Quaker...it's pretty clear who's in charge around here.  

My first wife got an African Grey that bit her in the middle of her chest really hard and that got him/her re-homed. I used to have many finches, weavers and other small birds in outdoor aviaries but I've moved on to gardening for the sake of birds in the area. Fortunately I live along a natural flyway which extends from the hills above the Cal campus along the creek to my place so there is a lot of avian visitors and pretty good variety. I don't feed though, except by way of what the plants produce. They're not pets but I enjoy seeing their natural behaviors. Two dogs and a cat will do me fine I think, but please keep posting the pics and stories for your big animal family.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Dom - September 27, 2018 at 3:59 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Joods - September 27, 2018 at 10:11 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Joods - September 27, 2018 at 10:23 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Joods - September 30, 2018 at 10:00 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Joods - September 30, 2018 at 10:11 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Joods - September 30, 2018 at 10:22 pm
RE: Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. - by Whateverist - November 6, 2018 at 11:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Photos Tiberius 20280 4482833 April 11, 2024 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Two warnings, already - i'm not going to be here much longer Prof.Lunaphiles 43 9306 April 25, 2020 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  As much as I'd like to, I shouldn't forego a formal introduction Gol Dernitt 22 2665 August 9, 2019 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  I never introduced myself shadow 14 3698 July 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I drank too much wine... and now I shall grace you all with my unstable presence. Anatheist 42 8170 May 20, 2015 at 9:41 am
Last Post: Regina
  Better late than never...! DangerousElf 4 1414 September 6, 2014 at 11:51 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Much Hello Beardio1 20 3525 April 27, 2013 at 10:23 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
Wink Hope its not too late! WhatIfGodWasJustAMyth 9 4212 July 21, 2012 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: C.W. Sims
  ..been lurking for far too long Ben Davis 15 5540 March 6, 2012 at 8:14 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  It never felt right Nyx 21 4921 January 23, 2012 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Cinjin