Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Reason and Christian Denominations
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations
(April 12, 2018 at 1:37 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(April 12, 2018 at 9:51 am)Joods Wrote: That's your opinion. However,  you have failed to present anything to the contrary. I stand by my statements.

You don't have to present something to the contrary to show that the reasoning, and thus the conclusion does not follow.

So you still aren't willing to present any counter argument other than to tell me that you think I'm wrong for my opinion? That's not presenting anything. You're arguing in circles while not really doing anything to prove your side of the discussion. 

Quote:The copies of copies and translations line is old, and quite bad. 

No it isn't. It's a valid statement. 

Quote:   For most things of that age, we only have copies (a historian shouldn't be surprised by this).

Provide evidence of this. Otherwise, you are just stating your opinion. Show me studies or comparisons where this happens for "most" things that age, as your claim states. 

Quote:  And the errors in the copies of Biblical manuscripts instead of showing that it is ever changing and full of errors, instead shows quite the opposite.  It shows that a vast majority of the discrepancies are things like spelling errors, transposed words, or using a slightly different although equivalent word.   No major doctrine is in question because of the number of copies or errors in those copies.   When someone brings this up, you should ask them for specifics.   What are the errors, and what is the significance?

I've asked you to provide evidence for your side of the discussion. You've failed to do that, twice now. Show me scientific evidence, via the Scientific Method, where these "copies" were mistranslated or had spelling errors or anything else that you are claiming, yet failing to provide links to data for. This is important because it is the crux of the topic of reasoning and why there are literally thousands of differing opinions all within Christianity, yet, there are those among you who refute other Christians. 

If your god were indeed real, there would not be any discrepancies among other Christians. There would be one religion, one denomination of that religion and you would all agree on the meaning of each word in the Bible. A bible, which every denomination uses, yet interprets in their own way. 

Quote:It simply doesn't follow that because someone mis-interprets something; that the original was false. 

The problem is that we have yet to see anything "original". Copies and copies and copies of transcripts of other transcripts do not make any of them "original". Plain and simple. 

Quote:Atheists I am told don't always agree, are not a hive mind that does not mean that there is not an objective truth to any particular subject. 

Atheists don't always agree because we aren't a group, per say. The ONLY thing we have in common is that we do not believe in a god or gods. Everything else is up for scrutiny. I know you theists like to think that we are a group of people, but we just aren't. 

Quote:

Why do you think that people should not be able to have differing opinions?

I never said people can't have differing of opinions and you putting words in my mouth is just pathetic. However, when it comes to the claims that Christians make and the rules that they put on other people, but don't bother to adhere to themselves, opinions don't mean much. You can't sit there and say that you follow the infallible word of God when several Christian denominations can't even agree on what that is. If you are all following the same book, then there shouldn't be any differing of opinions.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Messages In This Thread
Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Bahana - April 6, 2018 at 2:19 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by John V - April 11, 2018 at 10:46 am
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by John V - April 11, 2018 at 4:42 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Joods - April 11, 2018 at 1:37 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by vorlon13 - April 12, 2018 at 12:40 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Joods - April 12, 2018 at 9:51 am
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Joods - April 12, 2018 at 3:34 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by John V - April 12, 2018 at 3:50 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Drich - April 9, 2018 at 4:11 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Drich - April 11, 2018 at 7:57 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by KevinM1 - April 11, 2018 at 1:55 am
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by John V - April 11, 2018 at 12:30 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by John V - April 11, 2018 at 4:57 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by John V - April 12, 2018 at 6:21 am
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Drich - April 13, 2018 at 10:01 am
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Drich - April 13, 2018 at 10:16 am
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Bahana - April 12, 2018 at 2:17 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by John V - April 12, 2018 at 2:34 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by John V - April 12, 2018 at 3:15 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by vorlon13 - April 13, 2018 at 10:05 am
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Drich - April 13, 2018 at 10:19 am
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Drich - April 13, 2018 at 10:27 am
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Drich - April 19, 2018 at 5:00 pm
RE: Human Reason and Christian Denominations - by Drich - April 20, 2018 at 8:34 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God's preferred denominations LinuxGal 1 910 November 26, 2022 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89394 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Another reason why Christians go to church Alexmahone 40 4789 August 20, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Cod
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6178 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Which denominations have you spotted on this forum? Fake Messiah 87 14542 August 19, 2017 at 10:14 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5558 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  There's a Reason Why Christians do Stupid Things Rhondazvous 37 7010 October 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  In Case You Need A Reason To Despise Baptist Scum-suckers Minimalist 93 9238 July 1, 2016 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Reduced to a Piece of Clay: False Humility and Human Dignity Rhondazvous 63 9950 June 20, 2016 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
  The number one reason not to follow Christianity Aegon 43 8944 March 11, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger