Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which denominations have you spotted on this forum?
Which denominations have you spotted on this forum?
Really there doesn't seem to be a variety of Christian denominations that are coming here. From what I've observed there are Catholics, Baptists, some sort of protestant and non-denominational. I mean there are certainly people here that are better at spotting them.
I'm asking this because it seems that most of denominations are rather secluded about going out of their inner circle. I mean certainly there are no Evangelists or if there were are they those that quickly get banned because of their aggressive attempts of conversions by sending PMs? Or Mormons or not to mention Jehovah's Witnesses. For instance sometimes people from the Orthodox Christianities come by but they don't last since they lose interest.

I mean even on Christian forums is there bigger variety of denominations? Because I can't imagine they all get along even on Christian forums.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: Which denominations have you spotted on this forum?
CL, Lek, and the fresh out of the oven pabsta are Catholic
Wooters is a Swedenborgian/Catholic Voltron
GC is Southern Baptist (I believe)
Not sure about RR, Steve, or Huggy... Protestant?
Drich is his own thing
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Still, a great variety of Scripture cherry pickers, slackers and heretics and apostates of all stripes it seems.

Even with a diverse sampling of all the shades of Christianity, I fear a proselyte of the One True Faith will still fail to log on here.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I'm a former Lutheran (Missouri Synod, fwiw.) Not sure if that means anything, since I don't believe anymore, though.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(August 8, 2017 at 9:14 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I'm a former Lutheran (Missouri Synod, fwiw.) Not sure if that means anything, since I don't believe anymore, though.

Even the pious Lutherans are backing off of some of Luther's stuff.

Yet they don't asterisk their signage . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(August 8, 2017 at 9:20 am)vorlon13 Wrote:
(August 8, 2017 at 9:14 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: I'm a former Lutheran (Missouri Synod, fwiw.) Not sure if that means anything, since I don't believe anymore, though.

Even the pious Lutherans are backing off of some of Luther's stuff.

From my understanding, it's mostly his rabid anti-semitism. That said, given his decision to stand up to the Catholic Church almost 500 years ago, back when it was both really corrupt AND the religious juggernaut of Europe, it makes sense that people would still admire him.

You have your penny, your nickle, your dime, your quarter. You have your 50 cent pieces, and even Presidential and Susan B dollars. Then you have the 1 and 5 and 20 and 50 and 100 dollar bills. But to be honest, I have not seen anyone post pictures of those denominations yet.

What?
When I was a Christian, as a little kid, I went to church in a YMCA. Not sure if the Y just hosted the church or whether it runs its own denomination.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(August 8, 2017 at 9:25 am)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(August 8, 2017 at 9:20 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Even the pious Lutherans are backing off of some of Luther's stuff.

From my understanding, it's mostly his rabid anti-semitism. That said, given his decision to stand up to the Catholic Church almost 500 years ago, back when it was both really corrupt AND the religious juggernaut of Europe, it makes sense that people would still admire him.

Still, for the current Lutheran hierarchy to back off any morsel from the founders pen might raise doubts about what else Luther was wrong about.

See how that works ??

The Mormon's insist on having it both ways; they maintain (with a straight face and everything) that they've never changed anything, yet Mormonism has clearly evolved, and evolved a great deal, since it was founded.  If all but literally beat over the head with evidence that they have changed things, the most that will be admitted to is they've either updated the grammar, clarified something that people found confusing (now it's YOUR* fault!!) or they have made no substantive changes.

*I love that one, caught red handed changing essential and intrinsic church dogma and it hasn't been changed in meaning, YOU are stupid and we had to rewrite it so YOU could comprehend it.  The quintessence of Mormonism !!

Still, most religions change and don't acknowledge it. I can remember going to a Catholic high school, and we were once taught about the subject of divorce, how, in the Gospels, Christ said it was okay for a man to divorce his wife if she was unfaithful, and then in the thirteenth century or so (or perhaps earlier), the Church decided it was not acceptable under any circumstances. The teacher (an otherwise fairly intelligent man) did not see any contradiction between "maybe in some circumstances" and "never ever ever."

That said, given that the 1800s were a far more literate time than the first century AD, it's obvious that the shifts in Mormon thought would be a lot more obvious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which version of xtianity is most likely to be correct? FrustratedFool 20 1146 December 8, 2023 at 10:21 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  God's preferred denominations LinuxGal 1 907 November 26, 2022 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  which version of christianity is correct? Drich 86 8923 March 30, 2020 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Dundee
  Human Reason and Christian Denominations Bahana 92 15041 April 20, 2018 at 9:25 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Which is the cause, which the effect: religious fundamentalism <=> brain impairment Whateverist 31 5256 March 20, 2018 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Which Jesus is real? Foxaèr 40 8136 August 9, 2017 at 11:52 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Truth in a story which is entirely dependent upon subjective interpretation Astonished 47 6098 January 10, 2017 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 34380 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theists i want a quick forum chat with you dyresand 24 6361 July 25, 2015 at 2:03 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? Hatshepsut 35 6623 May 19, 2015 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue