Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 6:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Colbert Rips Jeff Sessions a New Asshole
RE: Stephen Colbert Rips Jeff Sessions a New Asshole
(June 17, 2018 at 9:39 am)henryp Wrote:
(June 17, 2018 at 3:49 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I may have been misinformed, but it is my understanding that separating families is a policy, not a law.  There is no law that says you can't do this, but there is no law requiring that you do this.

Boru

edit:  I took it upon myself to do a little research:  It is NOT illegal to keep kids in detainment facilities.  Under your last two presidents, this is precisely what was done.  The difference now is that the Trump administration has made crossing the border anywhere other than at a designated border point a criminal act - a presumption of guilt now exists which the administration uses to justify putting the adults into (essentially) a prison instead of a detention facility until their case is decided.  This is a cruel, cruel ruse used to stop ALL immigration into the US (even families of legitimate asylum seekers who enter AT border crossing points are being split up).

Fuck Donald Trump.  Fuck Jeff Sessions.  Fuck anyone who tries to sugar-coat the shattering of familes.

So, the problem with detention facilities, is there are legal limits to the length of time children can be kept in them.  And because the system is backlogged, in the Obama administration, they'd just release the family and give them a court date.  But then they would just head off into the US with no guarantee they'd come back.  Which is an opportunity they wouldn't get if they tried to enter legally at the border.  If they attempt legally, they either are admitted or turned away as a family.

To your point of legal border crossings resulting in families being split up, I've read that they are supposed to only do that if they feel the child is in danger, which makes sense.  I'm sure there are abuses, but that's not by design.

Sessions response, is to close the loophole by charging people with entering illegally, rather than just releasing everybody and hoping they come back to court.  It's a bad solution.  But the alternative is also bad.  But you don't have to enter the country illegally.  And as I said earlier, having borders is not a controversial position.  The answer is changing the laws to work better.  Ideally, to more quickly have people accepted/rejected as a family as they are when applying legally.  

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/11/17443198/c...ed-parents

When the Obama administration attempted to respond to the “crisis” of families and unaccompanied children crossing the border in summer 2014, it  — a practice that had basically ended several years before. But federal courts stopped the administration from holding families for months without justifying the decision to keep them in detention. So most families ended up getting released while their cases were pending...

None of this addresses the problem of separating families. Yes we have borders and yes we have detention centers, there is always room for improvement in these areas but I don't see any value in taking children from their parents, it just seems cruel especially since this administration has already admitted that they are using it as a deterrent. The only way that "making the citizenship process easier" fixes the problem, is if the administration is prepared to approve large numbers of immigrants. If most immigrants are being denied then they are probably going to try and sneak in anyway and given the rhetoric being spewed by the current administration I don't see them being more accepting.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Stephen Colbert Rips Jeff Sessions a New Asshole - by Mr.wizard - June 17, 2018 at 11:51 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Italy crime: Gang rips open security van with diggers near Bari Duty 7 700 January 14, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Asshole Can't Even Appoint The Right Judges Minimalist 11 1469 November 16, 2018 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  One Trump Loving Confederate Asshole Goes Down In Flames Minimalist 25 3079 November 8, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I'm Sure The WLB Will Pardon This Asshole, Too Minimalist 0 376 August 30, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Jeff Sessions "Religious Liberty Task Force" Foxaèr 126 8309 August 6, 2018 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Stephen Hawking has died at the age of 76. Jehanne 203 25013 April 28, 2018 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Turd Doesn't Fall Far From The Asshole Minimalist 10 1803 March 23, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Stephen Fry reveals prostate cancer diagnosis Antares 7 775 February 23, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Every Day Is Another Embarrassment With This Fucking Asshole Minimalist 27 3094 January 12, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stephen Colbert - The WLB Sings The Anthem Minimalist 3 521 January 10, 2018 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus