Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have you met people criticizing atheists who use the expression OMG
RE: Have you met people criticizing atheists who use the expression OMG
(March 15, 2019 at 10:12 pm)Yonadav Wrote:
(March 15, 2019 at 9:24 pm)fredd bear Wrote: ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I understood the context. However, wasn't aware of how Jesus is seen by orthodox Jewry.

Makes perfect sense ; Jesus' followers claimed he was the son of G-d and worshipped him. For that reason alone he was obviously not the Moshiach.. Mr understanding is that the Moshiach will be a warrior priest in the Davidic  tradition , will not be divine, and will not die prematurely --That before you get anywhere near ushering in a period of world peace. 

The most appropriate word I can think of to describe Christian claims that Jesus was the messiah is "chutzpah".

The real chutzpah is trying to get us to call him c-h-r-i-s-t, which is literally like trying to get us to acknowledge him as our king.

The classic description of chutzpah is a man who murders both of his parents and then tells the judge that he should be lenient with him because he is an orphan.   Hehe

King? As in 'christ' = christos= ' anointed one' ?  

You know, I had never thought of that. But then, Catholic religious education is a bit unusual.  Although not not officially not allowed to read the bible, it was all but actively discouraged. I read both books when  I was 16. That was because  one of the brothers told me I  really shouldn't. I soon understood why; some of the more fatuous claims made by Catholics (such as papal infallibility) don't seem to have quite the scriptural authority claimed.

Reading the bible raised a whole lot of big questions for me. My teachers would say:"That's a mystery of faith, we just believe" I would think that is the antithesis of Talmudic tradition.

Later my entire class was sent on "retreat'' with trained theologians. They gave me the company line. When I still had questions  I was referred to Thomas Aquinas. ----and a fat lot of good he was; writing things like "You believe everything or nothing".

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have you met people criticizing atheists who use the expression OMG - by fredd bear - March 15, 2019 at 10:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1947 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
Question Atheists and Agnostics that have child Eclectic 11 1186 August 28, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1743 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1461 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Serious] If I met Him... zwanzig 54 4422 January 13, 2021 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2867 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Does Atheists have acceptability ? hindu 40 4590 July 18, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11363 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  These People Truly Have No Limits athstmike 18 3219 June 13, 2018 at 3:22 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Just met a former Muslim on Facebook Brian37 6 2721 May 3, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Brian37