Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
These People Truly Have No Limits
These People Truly Have No Limits
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressive...g-in-hell/
Anthony Bourdain is one of my heros. He is the reason I am currently in culinary school in New Orleans. For people to immediately start spewing hate like this after a troubled man's tragic suicide is truly unbelievable, though I shouldn't really be surprised anymore, really. RIP Mr. Bourdain.
"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you."
RE: These People Truly Have No Limits
May his soul rest in peace and I pray God favors him well and has mercy on his soul, but I don't know his fate. Was a hero of mine as well.
Westboro Baptist Church. No surprise. They think everyone is going to hell. Who cares.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
I doubt very much that Bourdain is 'burning in hell'. If he's there at all, he's probably being pan-seared, preparatory to being served with a nice aioli remoulade.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
They say the same thing about all celebrity atheists who die.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
They say the same about a lot of christian/believers that die.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 11, 2018 at 2:50 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I doubt very much that Bourdain is 'burning in hell'. If he's there at all, he's probably being pan-seared, preparatory to being served with a nice aioli remoulade.

Boru

😁😆🤣
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(June 11, 2018 at 2:50 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I doubt very much that Bourdain is 'burning in hell'. If he's there at all, he's probably being pan-seared, preparatory to being served with a nice aioli remoulade.

Boru
I would think he would like to be served in a nice Pho with pork cracklins. Then again, it is hell, so it may be a McDonald's hamburger.

(June 11, 2018 at 2:22 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Westboro Baptist Church. No surprise. They think everyone is going to hell. Who cares.
The WBC thinks child school shooting victims, and all LGBTQ people, such as myself, are going too. So, no surprises there. What happened to do not judge thy neighbor? All they want is attention, and the media gives it to them.
"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you."
(June 11, 2018 at 2:22 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Westboro Baptist Church. No surprise. They think everyone is going to hell. Who cares.

Actually, the idea that people who kill themselves are automatically damned is a long-standing doctrine in Christianity. St. Augustine condemned the act in The City of God and about a century later, the doctrine became mainstream in Christianity. Dante (Inferno, Canto 13) put them in Hell, where they turned into oak trees and were the only souls exempt from bodily resurrection during the final judgment. It was only LAST JULY that the Church of England ended its ban on allowing a Christian burial for those who killed themselves.

To this day, the Catholic Church says of suicide:

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2325 Suicide is seriously contrary to justice, hope, and charity. It is forbidden by the fifth commandment.

It is considered a mortal sin, and due to the lack of an opportunity for Confession to absolve that sin, they are generally considered among the damned. To be fair, elsewhere, they point out that mental problems may diminish their culpability, but this does not invalidate the doctrines above. The Church has, since 1983, allowed suicides to be given a Catholic burial, largely to keep the families from further aggravation.

I've focused mostly on Catholicism, but many other denominations, especially conservative ones (including the Lutheran church I grew up in, though they seem to hedge their bets more than usual), tend to have similar views on suicide. This shit is actually far more mainstream than one might think.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
This is the kind of path these sort of absolutist morals lead to. Remember, if he said the magic words things would be completely different though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1889 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1425 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Have you met people criticizing atheists who use the expression OMG Der/die AtheistIn 30 4094 April 3, 2019 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  These Fucks Should Be Locked Up Minimalist 7 2353 September 11, 2017 at 8:58 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  These guys make me sick Manowar 23 7836 July 8, 2017 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  How would you respond to these common theist statements? TheMonster 21 5227 July 5, 2015 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: Regina
  It's illegal to be atheist in these 13 countries dyresand 24 10010 April 20, 2015 at 5:10 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Is Atheism truly frowned upon in America? TheMessiah 21 5356 February 10, 2015 at 12:23 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Thank you all. I have lost so much. I have gained much more. Mr. Moncrieff 30 7035 March 6, 2014 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  do you think people who believe in god have a underlying mental illness or symptom? leodeo 14 4165 January 18, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda