Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
(April 11, 2019 at 5:40 am)Amarok Wrote: Forcing a women to carry the fetus to term against her will is equivalent to rape in my opinion

Hmm. Well I'd say it's closer to kidnapping, since you'd more or less have to do that to ensure she does not have the opportunity to destroy the fetus. But rape and kidnapping are closely related, at least legally speaking, as they both can carry a life sentence (but that is rarely enforced) and they both have varying degrees, including the least malicious kind (statutory rape, where it is "consensual" sex with, say, a 17 year old, and a parent "kidnapping" his/her child when the child does not even know a kidnap is occurring and is not in fear for his/her safety).

Quote:and weather the fetus is human or not is aside the point as even if it were it has no right to inhabit another being against their will or use elements of their body against their will ,

Of course the fetus is a human. What else would it be? A chipmunk? I assume you meant to say "person."

And you're right. As it happens a fetus more or less has no rights at all. But rights are a legal concept, and I'm talking about morality. I illustrated how the law has nothing to do with morality. I hope that is not a point in dispute because in my life I've found this to be painfully obvious.

Quote:And no we allow parenthood to be a choice if abortion were illegally pregnancy would not be a choice so that comparison will fail , And no the fetus is neither innocent or guilty I don't believe such terms can be used on a fetus .

Uh... ok...?
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it - by Nihilist Virus - April 11, 2019 at 11:32 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 15763 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7524 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5537 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3554 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9712 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago! thool 19 2476 January 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4493 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7051 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14699 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw