Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would I still be an atheist if I believed this?
Would I still be an atheist if I believed this?
There is a scientific hypothesis proposed by James N. Gardner that postulates that there are cycles of cosmic creation within a multiverse in which highly evolved intelligent civilizations (if you could call their society that) have reached a point where they can spawn baby universes. They have enough knowledge in physics that they can tune constants and create a specific "life permitting" universe that allows for specific types of life forms, probably biological structures similar to them. This has already been done long before humans, and our universe is one of those spawned universes. Eventually, we may reach a point where we could spawn baby universes. This means that ET's create universes. This is the selfish biocosm hypothesis.
Now, suppose I accept this hypothesis and start thinking of these natural beings as superior intelligence beings that need to be acknowledged and praised. Could I call them God and then become some sort of theist? I could be a naturalist and accept this, so could it be like a naturalist theist?

I would think the term god wouldn't exactly match this and you would therefore still be an atheist if you are a naturalist.
Hail Satan!  Bow Down Diablo

RE: Would I still be an atheist if I believed this?
It depends. Do these aliens care whether you masturbate and eat seashells?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(March 20, 2017 at 12:54 am)Alex K Wrote: It depends. Do these aliens care whether you masturbate and eat seashells?

I doubt they would even care to know us.

(March 20, 2017 at 12:57 am)TheAtheologian Wrote:
(March 20, 2017 at 12:54 am)Alex K Wrote: It depends. Do these aliens care whether you masturbate and eat seashells?

I doubt they would even care to know us.

While they would somehow fit the description of a deist God, that would be an illusion. It would simply be the multiverse evolving in very intricate ways.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

not that far off of Mormonism

[shudder]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 20, 2017 at 12:59 am)Alex K Wrote:
(March 20, 2017 at 12:57 am)TheAtheologian Wrote: I doubt they would even care to know us.

While they would somehow fit the description of a deist God, that would be an illusion. It would simply be the multiverse evolving in very intricate ways.

Why can't I call these beings gods? It could be like some polydeism.

(March 20, 2017 at 1:06 am)TheAtheologian Wrote:
(March 20, 2017 at 12:59 am)Alex K Wrote: While they would somehow fit the description of a deist God, that would be an illusion. It would simply be the multiverse evolving in very intricate ways.

Why can't I call these beings gods? It could be like some polydeism.

The question is more about what your definition of the word god is. They themselves have abiogenesised and evolved like us, so I think the label would be misleading.

(March 20, 2017 at 12:50 am)TheAtheologian Wrote: There is a scientific hypothesis proposed by James N. Gardner that postulates that there are cycles of cosmic creation within a multiverse in which highly evolved intelligent civilizations (if you could call their society that) have reached a point where they can spawn baby universes. They have enough knowledge in physics that they can tune constants and create a specific "life permitting" universe that allows for specific types of life forms, probably biological structures similar to them. This has already been done long before humans, and our universe is one of those spawned universes. Eventually, we may reach a point where we could spawn baby universes. This means that ET's create universes. This is the selfish biocosm hypothesis.
Now, suppose I accept this hypothesis and start thinking of these natural beings as superior intelligence beings that need to be acknowledged and praised. Could I call them God and then become some sort of theist? I could be a naturalist and accept this, so could it be like a naturalist theist?

I would think the term god wouldn't exactly match this and you would therefore still be an atheist if you are a naturalist.

Ah but then there would the "ultimate necessary" first alien intelligence that started the whole thing many iterations of the universe ago and we call that being god oh and he hates gays.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Would these extra-universal aliens have any method of interacting with our Universe (after setting initial conditions) or would they be confined to their own?
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
(March 20, 2017 at 12:50 am)TheAtheologian Wrote: There is a scientific hypothesis proposed by James N. Gardner that postulates that there are cycles of cosmic creation within a multiverse in which highly evolved intelligent civilizations (if you could call their society that) have reached a point where they can spawn baby universes. They have enough knowledge in physics that they can tune constants and create a specific "life permitting" universe that allows for specific types of life forms, probably biological structures similar to them. This has already been done long before humans, and our universe is one of those spawned universes. Eventually, we may reach a point where we could spawn baby universes. This means that ET's create universes. This is the selfish biocosm hypothesis.

In this illogical dream we got highly intelligent beings that become GODS.
Eh, wait a minute mate.
What about competition?
Why Gods would create competition for themselves?
Doesn't the present going on in this planet explain you that people avoid as hell to create competition for themselves?  Lightbulb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1431 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1454 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 30166 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5532 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would you as an atheist EVER do this? Alexmahone 41 6511 December 6, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Those who never believed in a God Der/die AtheistIn 28 5151 July 30, 2017 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9661 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14593 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw
  Atheists: Can You Still Accept X'n Friends? Detachable 76 10911 August 12, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: Jesster
  Do you still fear hell? Lucifer 56 6271 July 14, 2016 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: vorlon13