Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
(April 11, 2019 at 10:59 am)Divinity Wrote:
(April 11, 2019 at 2:15 am)Nihilist Virus Wrote: Oh, calm your tits. I'm not judging anyone. I went to great pains to say that I eat meat and I think it's morally wrong to do so.  So I'm not judging anyone. Abortion is immoral, but no one is being shamed or judged.
Maybe not intentionally.  You may very well have good intentions.  But as they say, the path to hell is paved with good intentions.  I've seen girls who are told that abortion is immoral, who've had to struggle with the decision.  Hell, I've been one of those girls.  When I got pregnant for the first time, I was reminded of how 'immoral' the decision of abortion was.  How it was 'killing my baby'. And despite being pro-choice at the time, because of that--I wasn't able to make the decision that was best for me at the time.  Because people kept reminding me how 'immoral' the choice was.  "Personally, I'd never have an abortion" they reminded me.  Nagging me (purposely or not) into not making the right decision.

So... is it not killing your baby then?

I'm not the person picketing and holding up a sign. I'm not judging and I wouldn't tell a woman who is having an abortion that what she's doing is immoral... unless she asked me my opinion. But none of that changes the fact that abortion is killing your baby. If you have the ability to wordsmith your way around that one, maybe you're able to solve the fundamental limitations of language and logic that have driven me to nihilism. Hell, maybe you also know of a workaround to thermodynamics which would allow for perpetual motion.

Or maybe you just don't like the brutally obvious and unavoidable fact that abortion is killing your baby and so you're lashing out.

Quote:Telling people "MEAT IS IMMORAL!" is way different than saying "ABORTION IS IMMORAL!"  There are millions and millions of meat eaters.  In fact, it's a minority of people that don't eat meat.  It's the difference between saying "Same Sex Marriage is Immoral" and "Traditional Marriage is Immoral".  One carries a stigma, the other doesn't.    There's no stigma for eating meat.  Nobody's going to go around and think "Oh my god, I'm a terrible person for making this decision to eat a delicious steak."  Most people don't even empathize with animals enough to give a shit.  But with abortion?  There's a HUGE fucking stigma to the whole thing.  One created by society, and propagated by those who find it 'immoral'.

I don't give half a shit about stigma. Meat and abortion are the same thing. It's the killing of a viable life form with a survival instinct and the capacity to suffer and feel pain so that others may benefit from it.
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it - by Nihilist Virus - April 11, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 15763 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7524 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5537 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3554 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9712 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago! thool 19 2476 January 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4488 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7051 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14699 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw