Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
(April 11, 2019 at 11:02 am)tackattack Wrote: @Mister Agenda I was speaking of murder as ending life. If you'd prefer I user unlawful ending of human life then I could rephrase. As fetus' aren't universally agreed upon when they are a human life,

Pro-choice advocates say a fetus is not human life? I'm guessing you've talked to them more than I have.

(April 11, 2019 at 12:32 pm)Gae Bolga Wrote: More to the effect of, "what you just said was phenomenally ignorant, and let me share a little bit to show you why. "

You didn't make an argument to be valid or invalid, you just said something stupid.  That, in your estimation, the people here would consider abortion on account of warts on a kids face.  

Find me a pro-choice person here who would say that a mother would be immoral to abort on the sole grounds that the child has a facial wart.

Quote:So, I'll just state it again.  Shut the fuck up, lol.

For centuries Christians have used force to silence atheists because they knew which side has the good arguments. The only possible reason you'd have for wanting to silence me is if you have no good counterarguments. You'd provide them if you had them. Everything you've said up to this point has failed to address the main point: the termination of an ideal pregnancy in ideal financial conditions merely due to the whim of the mother.

Quote:She could be.

I shared with you how two people who are ideologically opposed to abortion..my wife and myself.....have to confront the reality of the decision.  Had some other couple been in a similar situation and chose not to have the child it would be the height of hilarity if neither she nor I could understand if they decided they didn't want to deal with all of that.  To insist that, somehow, their decision which differed from ours was immoral, or could not be morally justified.

That story..was a story about my wife and I, two well off people with plenty of cash when we first went into it and wanting a child.... getting lucky.....let that sink in.  Things could have been even worse.  We had to live through that, not just her and I..her and I and our kids and our friends and our family and everyone whose lives we impacted.   It got ugly, and our daughter will spend the rest of her life dealing with that complication.  Other people face worse consequences, more heartwrenching decisions, lesser circumstances....and, you know, some people don't even want kids, or aren't with anyone that they ought to have kids with.  If you ask either of us, we'd do it all over again, and do it all over the same way again...but that's just us... it doesn't carry some weight we can place on another persons back or insist that they carry it or be bad people.  Hell, we've heard every argument for why we were fucking up, why we shouldn't have a kid, or another kid, or another kid, or another kid.  It's not that those people have been wholly wrong.  More reasonable people in our situation might have called it quits after that first try and in many ways that probably could have been the best idea, practically and morally.  

You asked for something, you got what you asked for.

No, I haven't gotten what I asked for. You continue to miss the point. You keep bringing up oddities like warzone pregnancies and the worst delivery witnessed by a medical professional. That is tangential at best to the core premise of the pro-choice movement.

Quote:Your dissatisfaction is indicative of your own biases, and not in any way a product of not having been made aware of these things which you likely already knew..but decided to say phenomenally ignorant shit about.  You asked me what I would advise a person, I'll advise you.  Don't have an abortion, and while you're at it keep your opinions on the subject to yourself until such time as you can muster up credible ones.

Abortion problem solved.

So to summarize I'm talking about the whimsical termination of a pregnancy that is occurring in ideal circumstances. But I'm sure the next thing you move onto will be asking whether a woman who was abducted by aliens and forcibly impregnated with an alien-human hybrid should be allowed to abort.

(April 11, 2019 at 12:42 pm)Divinity Wrote:
(April 11, 2019 at 12:39 pm)Nihilist Virus Wrote: Or maybe you just don't like the brutally obvious and unavoidable fact that abortion is killing your baby and so you're lashing out.

So you are just trying to shame people?  Good to know you're just a fucking phony who tried to make it seem like he had good intentions.

You've now crossed the line into blatant and willful dishonesty to the point that it is on the verge of violating the forum rules.

Quoting Others Inaccurately
When quoting another member of the forums, whether using quote tags or putting quotes between quotation marks, members may quote them in whole or in part, but may not change the quoted text by adding, modifying, or deleting words. An exception to this rule is where the member is paraphrasing, provided that the paraphrased quote does not change the meaning of the original quote, or takes the quote out of its original context.

Adding formatting for purposes of clarification or highlighting (e.g. making certain words bold, adding reference numbers, etc.) is allowed, provided that the member indicates that the additions are their own and not in the original quote, and provided that the formatting does not change the meaning of the quoted text.

Changing quoted text for the purpose of parody is allowed, provided that the parody is clear to members. In the case of ambiguity, staff will err on the side of preserving the author's original words rather than preserving a member's artistic license.

Let me refresh you on what you are responding to.

So... is it not killing your baby then?

I'm not the person picketing and holding up a sign. I'm not judging and I wouldn't tell a woman who is having an abortion that what she's doing is immoral... unless she asked me my opinion. But none of that changes the fact that abortion is killing your baby. If you have the ability to wordsmith your way around that one, maybe you're able to solve the fundamental limitations of language and logic that have driven me to nihilism. Hell, maybe you also know of a workaround to thermodynamics which would allow for perpetual motion.

Or maybe you just don't like the brutally obvious and unavoidable fact that abortion is killing your baby and so you're lashing out.

I don't give half a shit about stigma. Meat and abortion are the same thing. It's the killing of a viable life form with a survival instinct and the capacity to suffer and feel pain so that others may benefit from it.

The part in bold directly contradicts your accusation and you deliberately redacted it and refused to acknowledge it.  That's dishonest and despicable.  You can redact portions of my post if they are unrelated to the point you want to make. But that's absolutely not what happened. You're representing your position with the grace and nobility of a Christian apologist.

And you proved my point by lashing out. Lol. Check and mate.
Jesus is like Pinocchio.  He's the bastard son of a carpenter. And a liar. And he wishes he was real.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it - by Nihilist Virus - April 11, 2019 at 1:09 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 15763 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7524 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5537 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3554 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9712 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago! thool 19 2476 January 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4485 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7051 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14699 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw