Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
(February 24, 2020 at 11:00 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(February 24, 2020 at 8:24 am)Belacqua Wrote: Suppose the father doesn't want to pay to support the child after it's born. Is it ethical for the government to force him to pay? 

How do we decide when a parent should be forced to support and when he or she shouldn't be forced?
Well, I think it's unethical for a government to force a father to pay alimentation. Unless the father stole the money from the mother. The father might have legitimate reasons for refusing to pay. Maybe he needs that money more than the mother does, maybe he needs that money to pay for his medication which he will die if he doesn't manage to pay. The government can't be expected to always have the information it needs to make such decisions.

All those are the kinds of things family courts routinely make decisions about; and if the father doesn't make the court aware of the relevant information, that's hardly the court's fault. Maybe where you're from the father must pay child support if he's penniless and at death's door but in these parts the courts will make allowances for the father's situation; and the mother's as well; not all women need child support to meet their child's needs.

(February 24, 2020 at 11:08 am)Fierce Wrote: I do agree that if a woman can make the decision on her own what to do with her own body, the man should have a viable option of not providing care for a child he never wanted. There are two people to consider, and the law favoring the woman in a time when women are keen on equality and independence makes no sense. If the woman wants autonomy over her body, let her alone take care of the child she wants to keep when the father wants no part.

There are three people to consider: the father, the mother, and their child. The government and society have a vested interest in ensuring the child's material needs are adequately met.

(February 24, 2020 at 11:48 pm)Agnostico Wrote:
The Grand Nudger Wrote:Yes, abortion is mentioned in magic book, as I already explained to you. Magic book is fine with it, magic book recommends it

Does it? Where?

Numbers 5: 11-31

You know, the Bible is a highly influential book, I recommend you read the whole thing when you can find the time, front to back. You don't have to be a Jew or Christian to get insight into modern religious thinking from it. Not everyone's cup of tea, though.

(February 25, 2020 at 7:07 am)Klorophyll Wrote: It's amusing to see atheists rationalize abortion with all kinds of analogies, the underlying reasoning being that the infant's life is less worth than the mother's. All this just to comfortably have more sex. You are senseless murderers at the baby scale. The more mature murderers who understood atheism better are the kind of exemplary leaders like Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, etc. and the pyramids of skulls associated with their names.

How can you justify killing millions of bacteria when you shower, atheists? Aren't they life too?

A fetus is not an infant. Check your dictionary.

And why would you think killing bacteria would be an issue for atheists?
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it - by Mister Agenda - February 25, 2020 at 10:58 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 15763 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7524 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5537 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3554 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9712 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago! thool 19 2476 January 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4490 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7051 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14699 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw