Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it
Quote:Saving the mother's life is a different issue. You're still prepared to back up all other kinds of abortion.
We already have well all you have done is repeat "it's bad " over and over so stuff tough talk 

Quote:I don't get why "letting gays adopt kids" is the first solution that pops into your mind.
Because i's a solution 

Quote: All religions unanimously condemn homosexuality altogether, and as a result, we don't solve a problem by creating another one.
No one ars what you cave dweller cult condemn nor is it a problem  

Quote:Aside from that, it's not like we're advocating for prosecuting women who perform abortion, we're simply against legalizing it.
Which is just as bad 

Quote:It's difficult because you can't make one kind of life more valuable than another, all life is made up with the same stuff, following essentially the same biological processes etc. and as such all lives are on an equal footing, and deserve equal chances of survival, unless religion kicks in.
Baseless assertions no arguments 

Quote:The value judgments you're about to offer can't be justified. Supposing god automatically makes the human life more privileged. Other than that we're just a pack of matter.
No it's in fact your religion that can't in a way that's not fallacious or arbitrary .We on the other have no problem with this .So kindly shut up .

(February 26, 2020 at 9:18 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:Aside from that, it's not like we're advocating for prosecuting women who perform abortion, we're simply against legalizing it.

The trouble with is that abortions are going to continue whether or not abortion is criminalized.  In that case, ANYONE who performs an abortion will be subject to prosecution.

Quote:Supposing god automatically makes the human life more privileged.

You can't possibly know that without presupposing that the 'holy' books are true as written.  Suppose God created the universe for the comfort and support of cockroaches (they're hardier and more adaptable than human beings) and the precious texts were written by humans who wanted to make themselves feel better.

Boru
And even granting all that it still justifies nothing

(February 26, 2020 at 9:18 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(February 26, 2020 at 9:05 am)Klorophyll Wrote: It's difficult because you can't make one kind of life more valuable than another, all life is made up with the same stuff, following essentially the same biological processes etc. and as such all lives are on an equal footing, and deserve equal chances of survival, unless religion kicks in.
That's something that -you- think, not something that atheists think.  Your own inability to understand why the differences in life lead to different moral conclusions about how we treat life is your own problem, and not atheist's problem.  

Any human being with two brain cells to rub together can recognize a moral difference in using a hedge trimmer on a bush, and a human hand.  It doesn't matter whether or not gods exists, and obviously we don't need to talk about gods to show why that would be a problem.  We need only refer to the differences between a bush and a human being.  

Hoping to offer some criticism of atheism, instead...you've indicated that you..personally, would not know why that was wrong in the absence of some djinn.  Is that really true?  

Quote:The value judgments you're about to offer can't be justified. Supposing god automatically makes the human life more privileged. Other than that we're just a pack of matter.
Sure they can.  More to the point, supposing god has no bearing on objective moral values anyway.  Either things are morally true with respect to facts about the object or act....moral realism - or they are true with respect to facts about some actor - their attitudes, feelings, and wishes.  Moral subjectivism.

You're only telling me than nothing is objectively right or wrong in your moral system..and that you, incapable of an objective moral calculus, must presuppose that morality is subjective.  All well and good, but as a subjectivist..you don't really have the ability to make claims regarding others lack of justification.  At the worst, the very worst, they're equally as subjective as your own moral system, and we're all bickering over whether chocolate or vanilla is the best flavor of ice cream.

Obviously, I think there's a difference between the best flavor of icecream, and whether or not it's morally acceptable to trim a bush or trim a human hand.  The difference isn't some silly fucking god.
Now watch him write a wall of assertions or fallacies and proclaim himself  right.That seems to be his style .
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Messages In This Thread
RE: Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it - by The Architect Of Fate - February 26, 2020 at 9:22 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 15763 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7524 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1465 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why am I still worrying about coming out as atheist? Der/die AtheistIn 48 5537 February 11, 2018 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Would I still be an atheist if I believed this? SuperSentient 21 3554 March 23, 2017 at 3:15 am
Last Post: SuperSentient
  You can be an atheist and still follow the ten commandments as guidelines ErGingerbreadMandude 48 9711 January 30, 2017 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Controlled by fables from thousands of years ago! thool 19 2476 January 18, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  300 years, yet atheism has not grown into a viable movement | Bart Campolo mralstoner 31 4481 October 20, 2016 at 6:27 am
Last Post: comet
  Closet Atheist Coming Out and Telling Family and Friends You're An Atheist Cholley71 10 7051 September 27, 2016 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Poll for atheists - Do you still celebrate Christmas and why? jeebusmubummed 101 14699 September 17, 2016 at 9:13 pm
Last Post: DanTheOutlaw