Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is slack a private social club and other issues my sorry ass has landed itself in
RE: Is slack a private social club and other issues my sorry ass has landed itself in
HThis is going to be my last post now before I take a break for a while, as this place isn’t for me right now. There’s many nice, reasonable people here and it’s a shame that my mental state is too fragile to cope with the people who aren’t so nice.

Here’s my personal opinion of how events unfolded here. People are welcome to disagree with my opinion.

1) Jorm made a topic in good faith, wishing to discuss a decision she didn’t understand on another platform.

2) She was not met with good faith back, received abuse from several people, and did not receive much in the way of meaningful discussion.

3) Fighting on, she managed to eventually discuss some of the points she wanted to talk about and got some answers. Those answers were pretty lame, in my opinion, but whatever. Run a private chat group however you like.

4) Jorm is being lectured about "breaking the prime directive", while doing no such thing in this thread as far as I can see, via posts that very much break that directive themselves. Huge hypocrisy. It was also way worse (in my opinion) than the breaking of some blasphemy-style law on the other group. She still carried on a lot longer than I’d have bothered to, to try and reach some meaningful agreement.

This is exactly the kind of non-discussion that is putting me off. It’s only a minority of people behaving this way, but this enough to make it toxic for me. This is a discussion forum, and discussion seems to be an afterthought.

People no doubt called me out for being a hypocrite when I complained about people being offensive to me in the other thread, after complaining about snowflake culture. I feel I should explain this point before I leave. Yes, in one respect I’m a snowflake myself because I am thin skinned at the moment. I’m mentally fragile. The difference is that I recognise that it’s me that doesn’t fit with the forum, not the other way around. I’m not requesting censorship, banning, or any other changes. I’m just voicing my opinions of why it’s not for me. The snowflake culture is to expect the environment to change around you, so that you no longer have to deal with people and opinions you don’t like. It’s also about deciding on other peoples' behalf what is offensive to them. (What is and isn’t offensive is highly subjective, I think. And being offensive isn’t a reason to be censored unless you’re actively harassing individuals.)

Now, much of what people "responded" to in that thread, I hadn’t actually said. They just imagined a load of other stuff that I probably thought, according to them, and replied to that. I wasn’t accusing anyone here of being a snowflake, nor talking about this forum, nor even specifically talking about the subject of blackface. I was making a general comment about my personal opinion about the direction society is headed. Since it was considered wrongthink by several people, the way to proceed is to have a non-discussion involving slinging mud until I either be quiet or change my opinion. Like I said, most of what was said didn’t even address what I said at all anyway. This kind of tactics is sadly the direction I see "debate" going in general. Whoever shouts the loudest wins. Again, this is a minority of people here, but enough to pierce my thin skin. And as such, I remove myself from the environment. For those that have been kind to me, I give my thanks and wish you well. Maybe I’ll return sometime in the future. I’ll continue to check my PMs.

PS: if anyone wants examples of what I was talking about regarding SJW and feminist ideology, then I invite you to take a listen. This stuff is everywhere. Again, I’m not talking about this forum, but society in general.

Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is slack a private social club and other issues my sorry ass has landed itself in - by robvalue - April 20, 2019 at 7:32 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Matrix > Slack deleted 0 456 June 7, 2023 at 9:01 am
Last Post: deleted
  Server issues Foxaèr 4 2156 March 6, 2023 at 8:28 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Private Messages Dundee 33 4625 November 15, 2020 at 10:41 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Whose idea was it to segregate news stories on slack? Angrboda 5 993 January 1, 2019 at 4:37 am
Last Post: Losty
  Slack tackattack 9 1496 November 22, 2018 at 2:07 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Having site issues Foxaèr 11 1651 November 1, 2017 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is there a way to disable private messages? *Deidre* 14 2637 July 21, 2017 at 11:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  How do I quote other posts? Bunburryist 5 1684 August 14, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Is anyone else having issues loading the forum? Losty 19 2411 June 14, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Losty
  sorry to ask, lost track of chart vorlon13 4 1354 July 13, 2015 at 1:04 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain