Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me...
RE: Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me...
(May 27, 2020 at 12:32 am)Belacqua Wrote: I apologize if I'm being repetitive. Of the arguments I've made on this thread, which did I make before on this forum, in the last many months? Can you point me to the posts in which my arguments were refuted? 

No one claimed they had been refuted, that's the joy of making unprovable and unfalsifiable or untestable statements, in much the same way anyone can about almost any untestable fantasy.  You simply haven't provided any evidence for considering the non~natural at all.

Quote:If it's required of us that we answer the questions put to us, I hope you'll hold poly to the same standards. He has refused to answer a very reasonable question from me.

Maybe he will maybe he wont ?  No one can or will do anything if you don't reply to his or my posts either.

Quote:I am not saying we should leap to a supernatural explanation. I am saying that if we assume without evidence that there is a natural explanation we are begging the question. I apologize for repeating this, but your question indicates I wasn't clear before.

I'm not sure science assumes anything (people might) , without evidence it simply says 'we don't know'

Quote:As I said before, if a person views the world as containing supernatural events, and finds an event which science can't explain, this would serve as evidence that science can't explain some things. 

How did you reach the 'science can't explain some things' ? , perhaps you mean hasn't as yet , or may never be able to explained some things ?
That still though does not justify a leap into untestable , undefinable and unprovable non~natural explanations.

Quote:For you, on the other hand, who has ruled out supernatural events, you would hold that there must be a natural explanation which hasn't been found yet

When i don't know I use the the words 'I don't know' can you give an example of what you would see as a non~natural event (which you personally have experience of) that cannot be natural in origin, and how you reached that conclusion ?

Quote:I think I have answered this above. If no natural explanation is available, then there is a possibility of a supernatural one. Unless you have ruled this out a priori.

No one has ruled anything out, we have yet to find a reason to justify anything other than a natural explanation, why do you think a non~natural explanation could even exist to hold any answers ?   

Quote:If you can prove that nothing supernatural has ever happened, that would be interesting. But if you can only show that science hasn't found anything supernatural, then I have to repeat that science only allows natural explanations by definition.

And forgetting science why do you even think a non~natural explanation exists or is even possible (beyond simply believing it so)
If you are making a claim of a non~natural possibility, explain how you reached that conclusion (again beyond simply believing it could be so)

Quote:I am not asking anyone to do anything. It's clear that people are very attached to their metaphysical positions. I'm apparently the only one of the forum who isn't completely sure what the truth is.

Of course no one is absolutely certain what the truth is, just that no one who has claimed a non~natural world has been able to show that it is even a viable possibility, using any means.

So far as I can see you have simply been using the worlds wordiest and longest 'god of the gaps' type argument. Sure we have grasped that you are pre-disposed to see anything you (or others) cannot explain as needing a possible non~natural explanation,  But beyond some personal belief have failed to provide any reasons why others should think this way.
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me... - by possibletarian - May 27, 2020 at 6:00 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 4040 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4128 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 923 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1786 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religious kids more likely to be cunts than atheist ones Napoléon 12 2788 November 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  More atheist men than women? Catholic_Lady 203 29160 July 9, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are Deists more like theists or Atheist? Twisted 37 9286 May 28, 2015 at 10:18 am
Last Post: comet
  Why do I find mysticism so appealing? JaceDeanLove 22 6748 December 24, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Do we need more Atheist books for kids? process613 43 7528 November 30, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Panpsychism is not as crazy as it sounds. Mudhammam 64 16678 May 18, 2014 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam