Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do we need more Atheist books for kids?
Do we need more Atheist books for kids?
Saw this referenced online and they make a solid point. Most kids grow up on bible stories and fairy tales. Do you think there's enough out there for kids nowadays?

Here's the book they are trying to kickstart.

[snip]
RE: Do we need more Atheist books for kids?
I don't get the point of teaching the lack of things. If my kids ask if God is real (because they heard about it from a friend), then I'll engage her in a creative conversation-- how do you know things are real? Does somebody you love saying something true really mean it's true? Etc.
Almost never.

But that works the same way with jesus.
Books that teach critical thinking skills, yes.

Books that teach 'atheism', no.

Atheism is the natural outgrowth of correctly applied critical thinking skills. No need to teach 'atheism'.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(November 25, 2014 at 7:18 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Almost never.

But that works the same way with jesus.

The Jesus crap is easily shoved down a kid's throat. When they're very young, they believe all kinds of supernatural stuff.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I can only agree. Specifically atheist books for children sound like a really terrible idea! I don't want to indoctrinate my kids to become atheists, that's literally throwing out the intellectual baby with the bathwater if you ask me. Teaching the result of a very personal and possibly never-ending thought process is exactly the opposite of what we should aim at. It is at odds with my - and I can only assume most atheists' here - values as free thinkers.
(and also - are we not better than they?). Teach them critical thinking and about the science of the world, and maybe, atheism will come to them, and maybe it won't. There are really more important things than that.

(November 25, 2014 at 8:02 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Books that teach critical thinking skills, yes.

Books that teach 'atheism', no.

Atheism is the natural outgrowth of correctly applied critical thinking skills. No need to teach 'atheism'.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

"Most kids grow up on bible stories and fairy tales." is there a difference?
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

We have plenty, perhaps you know them by another name - textbooks.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Teaching a child that god isn't real is the same as teaching them god is. Teach them to make their own decisions and proper critical thinking skills and let them form their own beliefs. Teaching atheism to children is teaching them that atheism is correct, which is the mindset atheists want to avoid if they don't want to become another cult.
I think I can manage not to lie to my children without turning our family into a cult Mech, but thx for the advice.

"Teaching math to children is teaching them that math is correct"
"Teaching biology to children is teaching them that biology is correct"
"Teaching ........."

Obvs, fairies get no special passes, from me anyway.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need a new passport, which country is officially atheist? BananaFlambe 44 2527 December 20, 2023 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 4028 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me... Duty 385 32254 June 8, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 6780 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  Santa and Other Lies to the Kids mlmooney89 25 2646 August 27, 2018 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Raising atheist kids. Jehanne 26 4184 March 16, 2017 at 1:05 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2562 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Holy books on trial mcolafson 7 1563 September 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1784 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Favorite Atheist books? TrueChristian 15 4132 December 31, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: maestroanth