Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do I find mysticism so appealing?
Why do I find mysticism so appealing?
Hello. I'm a 16 year old who lives in Central Texas. I was curious why I'm so drawn to mysticism and the supernatural? I find beauty in the wiccan faith. I also find Buddhism and Withcrafy to have a certain allure to them. I was also curious if anyone else feels this way? Is there a way I could get involved with all that, and still be atheist?
RE: Why do I find mysticism so appealing?
(December 24, 2014 at 11:00 am)JaceDeanLove Wrote: Hello. I'm a 16 year old who lives in Central Texas. I was curious why I'm so drawn to mysticism and the supernatural? I find beauty in the wiccan faith. I also find Buddhism and Withcrafy to have a certain allure to them. I was also curious if anyone else feels this way? Is there a way I could get involved with all that, and still be atheist?

you can there is somethings that cannot be explained. as far as the supernatural however i'm a bit split on it. because there is things that can be explained and a lot of it. i mean well.... sure you can be atheist and believe or partially believe in my case in the super natural. I know that well.. ouija boards is just really you moving the piece. the movements are done by your subconscious and the movements are so unnoticeable it feels like something is making the piece move.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Hey Jean, welcome Smile

Sure, being an atheist just means you don't believe claims about gods. That doesn't stop you believing whatever you want about other things, including the supernatural.

As for Buddhism, I don't know a lot about it, but I think some versions don't involve a God. So those adherents are still atheists.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 24, 2014 at 11:05 am)robvalue Wrote: Hey Jean, welcome Smile

Sure, being an atheist just means you don't believe claims about gods. That doesn't stop you believing whatever you want about other things, including the supernatural.

Also the super natural was around longer than religion so go nuts.

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
It is appealing because you are have a spiritual side to yourself.
People try to fill it with all kinds of things.

You are free to delve into that stuff but be forewarned:
Not every strand of a spider web is sticky, but there are enough of them to hold you until the spider eats you.
That is how the occult and eastern religions work.
If you play in satan's playbox- he has the RIGHT to play with you.
These people think they are getting power. In actuality they are getting controlled and trapped.
He will play with you until you wake up and renounce his stuff or until he, like the spider can eat you.
(December 24, 2014 at 11:00 am)JaceDeanLove Wrote: Hello. I'm a 16 year old who lives in Central Texas. I was curious why I'm so drawn to mysticism and the supernatural? I find beauty in the wiccan faith. I also find Buddhism and Withcrafy to have a certain allure to them. I was also curious if anyone else feels this way? Is there a way I could get involved with all that, and still be atheist?

Buddhism is atheist. Stear clear of the fruity mythological stuff, and focus on the philosophical/meditative stuff, and Buddhism is almost a perfect atheist religion. You can purify your self and your world view, enjoy mental "trips" aka religious experiences, and you don't really have to believe in anything particular.

As for wicca-- nothing wrong with hairy armpits, just saying.
You live in TX. One of the most oppressively christian states. For example, why are Catholic girls such whores? Oppression breeds resistance and rebellion.

There is nothing wrong with a healthy interest in something new and different. Just be sure of your reasons.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
(December 24, 2014 at 11:00 am)JaceDeanLove Wrote: Hello. I'm a 16 year old who lives in Central Texas. I was curious why I'm so drawn to mysticism and the supernatural?
I think that there's a part of us that likes mystery. Myths and legends and such things seem to have been popular for as long as there have been people to tell stories. Think of the literature that has stood the test of time, and a great deal of it is mythical and supernatural in nature. It can also help make a mundane life seem more vibrant, everything from the imaginary friends that a child has, to the religious beliefs that can place us in the middle of a war between the forces of good and evil, each of us with an important part to play!

So, lots of reasons. It's fun, it's mysterious, it's a major-league ego stroke, and so on.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(December 24, 2014 at 12:09 pm)professor Wrote: It is appealing because you are have a spiritual side to yourself.
People try to fill it with all kinds of things.

You are free to delve into that stuff but be forewarned:
Not every strand of a spider web is sticky, but there are enough of them to hold you until the spider eats you.
That is how the occult and eastern religions work.
If you play in satan's playbox- he has the RIGHT to play with you.
These people think they are getting power. In actuality they are getting controlled and trapped.
He will play with you until you wake up and renounce his stuff or until he, like the spider can eat you.

No no not that spiritual bull crap.
she is in the realms of aliens and ghosts.
nothing holy thank you.

Code:

I used to feel that way til I realized the supernatural, witchcraft and other things like that are all bullshit. Apart from the nocebo and placebo effects of curses and blessings and stuff like that.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists. Does life uh... find a way? Richimorto 6 992 July 29, 2020 at 12:44 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me... Duty 385 32271 June 8, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  I find this funny dyresand 0 871 June 22, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Which atheists do you find the most annoying? Whateverist 126 18640 November 18, 2015 at 9:15 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  I Find This Odd. Do You? Rhondazvous 6 1572 June 25, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Does anyone find victim blaming the Texas artists disgusting? TheMessiah 29 4620 June 8, 2015 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  anybody else find this really poignant? fojo 0 935 November 14, 2014 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: fojo
  i find it funny dyresand 12 3964 October 23, 2014 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Ayaan's recent Yale speech...cant find it. Brian37 7 2381 September 19, 2014 at 7:51 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Do you find meaning in suffering and death? If so, what? Mudhammam 9 2356 July 24, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Violet