Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More atheist men than women?
More atheist men than women?
I have noticed that the vast majority of the members here are men. On the other hand, the vast majority of the members in the Catholic forum I used to participate in are women.

Are men generally more prone to atheism, and women generally more prone to theism? If so, does anyone have any theories on why this is the case?

Thanks!
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
RE: More atheist men than women?
Could be that some religions tend to lean heavily on expecting obedience from women, which, in my little idea, could prevent them from striking out on their own.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
See, this is one topic where one of your rather binary polls could be handy, just to see if the men are more vocal rather than more numerous (I suspect this to be the real case) Wink
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
Women generally tend to be more emotional, and have a stronger need for community. Generally speaking. Theism caters to both of those.
Yes men are smarter than women, ROFLOL  . I'm just joking, before anybody freaks out.
Oh, and Stockholm syndrome, lots of it
Because atheism is a natural result of high education, critical thinking, scientific knowledge and other things that socially are discouraged for women by our institutions - Gender roles for women put them in a position where being religious is perfectly compatible and even recommended - The concepts of purity, virginity and obedience come to mind - For men there is greater freedom and possibility to not believe, and it makes more sense. This isn't biological, it's merely a result of social constraints, as it is possible for women to be atheist.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

This survey seems to suggest so - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30910342

Quote:A big gender divide exists between men and women in their 40s in belief in God and life after death, a poll suggests.

Of the British men surveyed, 54% said they were atheists or agnostics compared with only 34% of women.

The study also showed that Muslims in the survey had the fewest doubts about the existence of God and the afterlife.

The research involving more than 9,000 British people born in 1970 was analysed at the University of Essex.

This is news to me, i'd never really thought about it to be honest
“The larger the group, the more toxic, the more of your beauty as an individual you have to surrender for the sake of group thought. And when you suspend your individual beauty you also give up a lot of your humanity. You will do things in the name of a group that you would never do on your own. Injuring, hurting, killing, drinking are all part of it, because you've lost your identity, because you now owe your allegiance to this thing that's bigger than you are and that controls you.”  - George Carlin
Your sample is too small.  Neither your catholic forum nor this forum are representative.  I would be -incredibly- surprised to find that the m/f ratio of atheists deviates in any way from the m/f ratio of whatever population those specific atheists belong to.  1-1, plus or minus a percent in either direction, anywhere in the world.

(thinking of switching forums based on this intel.....)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 6, 2015 at 12:25 pm)Iroscato Wrote: See, this is one topic where one of your rather binary polls could be handy, just to see if the men are more vocal rather than more numerous (I suspect this to be the real case) Wink

But if they were more vocal in general, then how come the Catholic forum is mostly women?

Heh heh... maybe I should make another poll...

(July 6, 2015 at 12:25 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: Women generally tend to be more emotional, and have a stronger need for community. Generally speaking. Theism caters to both of those.

Good points.

(July 6, 2015 at 12:36 pm)Saxmoof Wrote: This survey seems to suggest so - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30910342

Quote:A big gender divide exists between men and women in their 40s in belief in God and life after death, a poll suggests.

Of the British men surveyed, 54% said they were atheists or agnostics compared with only 34% of women.

The study also showed that Muslims in the survey had the fewest doubts about the existence of God and the afterlife.

The research involving more than 9,000 British people born in 1970 was analysed at the University of Essex.

This is news to me, i'd never really thought about it to be honest

Whoa, there it is! Thanks for providing this.

(July 6, 2015 at 12:35 pm)Dystopia Wrote: Because atheism is a natural result of high education, critical thinking, scientific knowledge and other things that socially are discouraged for women by our institutions - Gender roles for women put them in a position where being religious is perfectly compatible and even recommended - The concepts of purity, virginity and obedience come to mind - For men there is greater freedom and possibility to not believe, and it makes more sense. This isn't biological, it's merely a result of social constraints, as it is possible for women to be atheist.

If it is true that religions have stricter rules for women, then wouldn't that make more women want to leave then men?

Or perhaps I misunderstood your post...
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 4027 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3259 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  I love cats and monkies more, than god Interaktive 14 1036 August 26, 2022 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are you a better atheist today than you were yesterday? Foxaèr 17 1575 March 24, 2021 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me... Duty 385 32249 June 8, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Do Christians really contribut to society more than atheists Asmodee 12 4473 June 27, 2018 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2197 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2872 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  There are more American Atheists than we thought Aroura 26 8591 May 27, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1784 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet