Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me...
RE: Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me...
(May 29, 2020 at 4:04 am)Belacqua Wrote: So I think that for many reasonable people, there is plenty of evidence for the supernatural. Among this evidence is

This should be good...

Quote:1) the obvious fact that people know very little of the world.

Okay we have many things to discover.. therefore lets see what you conclusion is and if it can be justified.

Quote:2) The fact that science seems to have no clue as to how we should approach some really big questions about reality -- e.g. what is consciousness? and why is there something rather than nothing?

What is not knowing the answer to something evidence of? 'We 'don't know' is the answer and gives us ..gives us absolutely no reason to invent a non~material world. It also raises other questions like have you ever known a consciousness apart from a physical ? , Is nothing even possible ?

Quote:(And I know some people are attached to their theories and don't agree that these are mysteries.

For good though out reasons i would say, don't forget even science used to believe much in a creation (of types) and have moved away from it because that is not where experience and evidence leads them.

Quote:But lots of scientists agree with me about consciousness.

agree about what bit ?, that they don't know what it is, sure , but again you claiming this is evidence for a non~material world which they likely would not agree with.

Quote: And in Krauss's book about why there is something rather than nothing he actually admits in the last chapter that he doesn't know.)

okay let's see where you go with this perfectly reasonable conclusion by Krauss

Quote:So if a person has a model which is skeptical of complete naturalism, and open to the idea that the supernatural is real, then these mysteries would be evidence (not proof) of the supernatural.

Even if you are sceptical of naturalism how would these lead to evidence, 'we don't knows' are just that.

Quote:Obviously to people whose models hold solely to naturalism, who have faith that all unanswered questions will have natural solutions, the lack of answers in those problems *doesn't* constitute evidence for the supernatural. They interpret the lack differently.

An unanswered question is not evidence for anything why on earth add the non~material ?

So far we haven't seen evidence for anything, simply unanswered questions, lets see where we go now.

Quote:Then there are the many many people in history who say they have had supernatural experiences. Some are fakers, some are obviously mistaken. But if we declare tout court that they are all wrong, we are doing so because a priori we have declared that only naturalism is possible. We don't know what those people experienced,

*bold mine* exactly, we don't know, so we don't need to add any inference of out of mind or non material worlds, we do know however that it was experienced through an organ that we can show is prone to delusion, can have artificially altered states, and that the experience changes according to religion, drugs, place of birth etc. This would indicate a there's much more likely to be influence from the material world. Again why conclude or consider it evidence for a non~material world ?

Quote:we haven't had the same experience. Again, for anyone whose model allows the supernatural or skepticism about pure naturalism, their testimony is evidence. Not proof, but evidence. I know that a lot of people -- especially on this forum -- have no qualms about calling anyone who disagrees with them a liar or an idiot. But I think that is having too much faith in our own judgment about things we can't know for sure.

*bold mine* It's not about faith in our own judgements it's about what we can reasonably conclude from the evidence available, sure if we are taught that such things are other worldly, we are likely to accept that, that does not mean it's evidence or proof for anything though. someone who does not have that prior belief asks for reasons to infer a non~material explanation.

Quote:So I think there is lots of evidence for the supernatural, if a person hasn't ruled it out already. If you have ruled it out already, there is no evidence.

Science does not rule anything out, it asks for evidence that does not rely on a prior belief (naturalism is not science) , also if you sincerely believe there is plenty of evidence of the supernatural, why not just say you believe ? You have become something of an expert in not saying anything at all substantial, of not committing yourself to anything , even things you say there is plenty of evidence for. It's like you have re-defined none committal as open mindness , then simply claimed everyone else should be like you.

Quote:Anyway, people are extremely limited, it's the height of arrogance to imagine that we can understand more than a tiny fraction of the world, and over-confident conclusions about things we don't really know are just self-promoting fantasies.

If we don't know, yet claim without evidence a non material world to is a fantasy !
Arrogance is not saying 'We don't know' it's saying without proof or reasonable evidence that we do

Quote:OK, I'll drop it now.

Okay dokey
'Those who ask a lot of questions may seem stupid, but those who don't ask questions stay stupid'

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me... - by possibletarian - May 29, 2020 at 9:22 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 4040 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4128 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 923 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1786 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religious kids more likely to be cunts than atheist ones Napoléon 12 2788 November 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  More atheist men than women? Catholic_Lady 203 29160 July 9, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are Deists more like theists or Atheist? Twisted 37 9286 May 28, 2015 at 10:18 am
Last Post: comet
  Why do I find mysticism so appealing? JaceDeanLove 22 6748 December 24, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Do we need more Atheist books for kids? process613 43 7528 November 30, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Panpsychism is not as crazy as it sounds. Mudhammam 64 16678 May 18, 2014 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam