Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:02 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me...
RE: Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me...
(June 3, 2020 at 8:04 am)polymath257 Wrote: I have yet to see a coherent definition of the term 'natural' that takes into consideration the actual methods of science and the possibility of scientific revolution that can lead to significantly different technologies.

Here's a definition of "natural" which takes into consideration the methods of science and tech. 

I mentioned it earlier. It's a version of the definition used in the mystical tradition, without necessarily accepting all of their conclusions. 

The natural is that part of the world which can be known by humans. Or to adapt it to your polymathic monomania, we could say that the natural is that part of the world which can be analyzed by science. 

The point is that just because there is a part of the world that can be analyzed by science, that's not proof that there's lots of other parts that can't. 

Consider our friends the earthworms. The range of what they can consider is different from our own. They don't know math, physics, or meteorology. They are indifferent to music and art. They don't know the history of civilizations. People know all that stuff, but it all falls entirely outside what an earthworm can conceive of. 

Why should I believe that human beings are able to know all of the world, when earthworms can't? In the evil old days of religion, people thought that the mind is a portion of the divine Logos, the principles and logic of the universe, and therefore our minds are constructed so as to know the world. But we scientific type people scoff at all that. People evolved to pass on their genes, just as earthworms did, and we know what we need to know for that. 

So let's imagine that "nature" is the range of things people can know. That would make the supernatural all the realm of things we can't know. How much is there? We can't answer that, because by definition we can't know it. 

At this point the normal objection is that if something is unknowable to us then it makes no difference, it "might as well" not exist. I think that's silly. An earthworm doesn't know anything about neoliberal economic policy, but such policies are still going to cause climate change and habitat loss that will significantly affect worm life. So the supernatural could be affecting us all the time, and we just wouldn't know it. 

This is different from the definition I was using earlier. In that usage, the part of the world we don't understand might be acting according to its nature, and would thus be hidden but natural. In this other definition, anything which is knowable to science is natural and anything which isn't knowable is supernatural.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheist VS Naturalist - the latter sounds more appealing to me... - by Belacqua - June 3, 2020 at 10:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is life more satisfying as an atheist or religionist? FrustratedFool 96 4040 November 10, 2023 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4129 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  His wish sounds familiar purplepurpose 1 923 November 16, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ugh, how come I, an atheist, have the ability to ACT more "Christian" than...... maestroanth 7 1786 April 9, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religious kids more likely to be cunts than atheist ones Napoléon 12 2788 November 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  More atheist men than women? Catholic_Lady 203 29161 July 9, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are Deists more like theists or Atheist? Twisted 37 9287 May 28, 2015 at 10:18 am
Last Post: comet
  Why do I find mysticism so appealing? JaceDeanLove 22 6748 December 24, 2014 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Do we need more Atheist books for kids? process613 43 7528 November 30, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Panpsychism is not as crazy as it sounds. Mudhammam 64 16678 May 18, 2014 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam