Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] What God's justification for eternal torment?
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment?
@Confused-by-christianity
Quote:Yeah that is true.  It's my own experience but it's likely not persuasive to someone who doesn't believe in God.  I could be lying, or telling the truth but mistaken.  It's also not verifiable to any other human.
I tend to assume that a person reporting an experience isn't lying or mistaken.  I also tend to assume that people who have experiences afford them the instant credibility that we all instinctively and routinely afford to any of our experiences.  

That's why I think that personal experience is a compelling explanation for a belief.  

Quote:That statement is huge.  I don't even know where to begin thinking about it.
Is it the fear religion?  Is God really a horror for a bad reason?  Is He a horror for a good reason?  Are people horrible and they put their own horror twist on scriptures to whip people into shape?  

It's probably beyond the scope of my experience??
If you're asking me, it's more the case that the terrible and immense are manifestly present in our experience.  Any god breathed whatsit that doesn't account for that (or refuses to include it in some way) has lost the instant credibility we afford to our experience - and also deprives itself of the a significant portion of the very content it was manufactured to describe, contextualize, or impart with meaning.

There's a reason that we call hurricanes and tornados acts of god.  It's a fine line, if there is a line, between terror and awe.  

Quote:What's God's justification for eternal torment?  
I don't think that there is one - either god or a justification - but I don't think that there has to be, either..so.  Maybe god tortures for the same reason that fires burn down towns.  

Quote:If He exists, would He be right to do that?
If He exists, would He be wrong to do that?
The existence of a god is irrelevant to a moral claim on any proposed act of a god.  Just as the existence of a god is irrelevant to any claim that you might make about having had a personal experience about gods.  I'd need to know other relevant facts about a god..and it's existence isn't part of the metrics of moral consideration at all.

We can demonstrate this by showing that a question regarding supermans moral state in any given context doesn't require an exploration of whether superman is a real boy..and, in fact, changing that fact does not and cannot change the conclusion of our moral reasoning.  A difference that makes no difference.

Is this god a competent moral agent?  What was the disposition of the choice or outcome field?  Is the act, accurately described, within a range of actions we deem to have negative moral content but, for whatever reason, also believe that we should withhold judgment even so?  I can think of any number of situations where any possible answer to this question - many of them mutually exclusive, could be true.  I've been given no relevant moral facts other than that this potential moral agent has done something of moral import.  

Quote:If He doesn't exist - Did people just make the horror up out of fear?  malice?  control?

None of the above??  :-)
As above, I'd say that part of what god concepts necessarily address are those things, that experiential content, which terrifies us.  We have to explain fear and malice and control, and the consequences of those things.  It's a requirement for us as creatures who navigate that context, and for whom that context is mortally consequential.  The point being, ultimately, that we see and feel and know that there are immensely powerful and destructive forces at play in the world because we're intimately familiar with them - and if one's ordering of the divine fails to account for that it puts itself in a strange position.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Smaug - August 24, 2020 at 12:25 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Smaug - September 17, 2020 at 2:08 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Drich - September 9, 2020 at 11:02 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Angrboda - September 9, 2020 at 12:10 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Drich - September 14, 2020 at 3:17 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Sal - October 7, 2020 at 6:48 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Sal - October 8, 2020 at 8:45 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by GUBU - October 11, 2020 at 4:50 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Sal - October 7, 2020 at 6:23 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Sal - October 11, 2020 at 2:43 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Sal - October 11, 2020 at 2:42 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Foxaèr - November 24, 2020 at 10:33 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Foxaèr - November 24, 2020 at 10:14 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Apollo - November 25, 2020 at 12:33 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Foxaèr - November 26, 2020 at 10:04 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Foxaèr - November 25, 2020 at 10:31 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Apollo - November 26, 2020 at 12:22 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by The Grand Nudger - November 27, 2020 at 6:55 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Chas - December 6, 2020 at 8:09 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Apollo - December 15, 2020 at 11:15 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Foxaèr - December 15, 2020 at 11:25 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Apollo - December 15, 2020 at 1:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm a Universalist - Can anyone convince me of 'Eternal Damnationism'? The Kreisel 16 1444 February 26, 2021 at 3:02 am
Last Post: beepete
  Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life? Greatest I am 30 2627 July 26, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Jesus suffering vs eternal suffering of temporary sinners purplepurpose 72 9378 November 19, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Eternal afterlife purplepurpose 129 24981 February 14, 2018 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6050 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Biblical justification for scripture cherry picking ?? vorlon13 8 2993 November 17, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Q: What is trans-galactic, eternal and omni-everything? A: God, necessarily? Whateverist 21 5635 August 11, 2015 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Speculate on Jesus 3 days of HELLISH torment !!! vorlon13 136 25672 August 9, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: McDoogins
  Eternal Hells - Do not exist! themonkeyman 11 4125 June 17, 2014 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12470 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook