Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists?
RE: Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists?
(April 19, 2021 at 2:51 am)Fake Messiah Wrote:
(February 27, 2021 at 8:28 pm)Ferrocyanide Wrote: So, I have a video on youtube, it was about the belief in a flat Earth.
I got into a discussion with someone.
He says (possibly a theist):
“Tbh, most of the conspiracy theorists I know are atheists. Maybe I'm just lucky.”

I can imagine that from a perspective of a theist, a believer in conspiracy theories is an atheist because a lot of conspiracy theories don’t need laws of physics broken to be believed in. Like if someone believes in bigfoot it’s believing in a creature that is just more harrier than some hairy humans, or space aliens could have come to Earth without breaking the laws of physics and nature.

So, from a perspective of a theist who believes in a guy who came from a virgin birth, walked on water, and resurrected, a conspiracy nut looks almost like an intellectual and therefore atheist. Because believing in religious stuff is much more batshit crazy than lots of conspiracies—like Sam Harris once said: “If you believe that saying few Latin words above pancakes will turn them into Elvis, you are crazy, but if you do the same for waffles and Jesus, you’re just a Catholic.”

Now, of course, flat-Earthism is up there with man flying on a donkey to a city in the sky, and waffles turning into flesh, so it would be hard to tie it with atheism.

I suppose rejecting the fact that NASA landed on the Moon could attract atheists (atheists who care about science) but my experience has been that these too are often christians.
I remember some guy mentioning operation paper clip, the NASA logo having a snake tongue and why are all the picture perfect if the cameras don’t have a viewfinder. In reality, most of the photos were garbage and they are all uploaded on nasa.gov.

There is apparently a bunch of people who think an alien lizard people have conquered Earth and they are running the show. One day, I will have to chat with a few them.
Some flat earthers also believe in chemtrails. Again, this is an area I haven’t poked around much.

Just recently, I has a chat with 4 people about COVID-19 + the restriction placed by the Mayor of Toronto.
3 of them were more clearly religious.

Source:
Global National: April 11, 2021 | Ontario reports highest number of daily COVID-19 cases ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZnhRD7UK4w
By Global News
Length = 22:13

(April 19, 2021 at 8:31 am)arewethereyet Wrote: Bold mine...

That list is long and convoluted.  Among the things are his actually meeting an angel and being cured of AIDS or something, we aren't quite sure, by gawd himself.  Stick around.  He recycles his stories fairly frequently.

Cool.
I hope Drich comes back.
I will PM him.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? - by Ferrocyanide - April 19, 2021 at 8:12 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11885 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 716 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 24030 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20919 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Survivalist conspiracy crap..... Brian37 27 2970 January 18, 2019 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Conspiracy after the fact onlinebiker 7 1543 October 14, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Proof of Jesus through Personal testimony. Christianity over other faiths orthodox-man 46 8317 January 29, 2018 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why do some moderates get so attached to other believers? Der/die AtheistIn 4 1262 December 19, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I had a religious experience the other night I_am_not_mafia 34 5443 November 22, 2017 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Are you and your significant other a "real" power couple? Foxaèr 19 2836 August 4, 2016 at 8:13 am
Last Post: ignoramus