Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did God allow his words to be changed?
RE: Why did God allow his words to be changed?
(August 14, 2021 at 12:37 pm)Mercyvessel Wrote:
(August 8, 2021 at 10:42 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote: I really really like to have a theist's perspective in any conversation, but you are like a spambot, mercyvessel. Drich's posts amounted to more than yours do, and (you may not know) that's a low bar. Why don't you try to answer objections to the points you make? At least let us know you aren't biblebot30000.

The Bible can be made to say anything. Universal love. Repress all Jews. You name it. I don't mind if you back up what you say with Bible verses (though I'll find the Bible verses part of your argument questionable)... but PLEASE, don't write a bunch of Bible verses as your entire point. C'mon. Please try to understand that we don't take Bible verses as authoritative... THEN make your point.

I am truly Christian and the Bible is my lawbook; GOD is my Lawgiver! (Isaiah 33:22)  

Professionally, I studied law and I have a imperative penchant to quote sources of law and authority (as I would site the law - case law or otherwise - in a legal brief or memorandum, I quote the the holy word of GOD on pertinent subjects because I firmly believe and know that it is the inspired word of GOD that hasn't and doesn't fail!).  

How does your apparent unbelief and/or your reluctance to even study / analyze holy Scripture shared make me "spam bot" - because I necessarily corroborate my positions with the written word?

I WILL "write" anything that I believe responds to, or is pertinent to a point/s at issue!

Sure, and write what you'd like. I'm glad to have you here.

I mean, you went to law school?  That's awesome. That means you had some training in argument, right? You could be a really good contributor if you put that training to use! But, c'mon, you gotta admit you're relying too heavily on Bible verses in an ATHEIST forum. You gotta meet us halfway.

So let's consider the notion spoken of in Isaiah 33:22 "...the Lord is our Lawgiver..."

Here's my main problem with it: if you're using the Bible as a list of laws lain down by your god-- I don't buy that! That book (or compilation of books) was written by men. A bunch of ancient men are your lawgivers-- not God.

You see, I agree with you religious types that man with all his foibles and ignorance, is incapable of laying down cosmic laws. But that's just what your Bible is. An earthly document, written by men who made guesses about what God wanted or desired. Sometimes it even SAYS IT OUTRIGHT in the text: "Hi guys! I'm James. I'm writing a letter to the Twelves Tribes..."-- nothing in there about God making the letter error-free or ANYTHING. But that's what modern Christians believe. But there's no reason to think Jame's letter is the actual word of God. Maybe even James did not believe that. All that stuff is just extra-textual belief that was superimposed on the text years later by theologians.

You see my issue here? You aren't taking God's word as the ultimate truth. You are rather trusting 5th century theologians, Holy Roman Christian practitioners, and other error prone men to decide what God did or did not say.

That's my position, anyway. And a bunch of Bible verses is not going to convince me otherwise. You need another point at which to begin your argument.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why did God allow his words to be changed? - by brewer - August 8, 2021 at 12:04 pm
RE: Why did God allow his words to be changed? - by vulcanlogician - August 15, 2021 at 7:24 pm
RE: Why did God allow his words to be changed? - by Astreja - August 12, 2021 at 11:21 am
RE: Why did God allow his words to be changed? - by no one - August 11, 2021 at 7:00 pm
RE: Why did God allow his words to be changed? - by Brian37 - August 14, 2021 at 12:42 pm
RE: Why did God allow his words to be changed? - by no one - August 14, 2021 at 12:46 pm
RE: Why did God allow his words to be changed? - by no one - August 14, 2021 at 4:56 pm
RE: Why did God allow his words to be changed? - by Jehanne - October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion summed up in two words UniversesBoss 0 474 November 26, 2022 at 1:19 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Why did God give commandments to Jews? Fake Messiah 12 874 August 11, 2022 at 10:10 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  OK Bill to allow parents to sue teachers if they teach anything that opposes religion Cecelia 28 2043 February 20, 2022 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did God get rid of the Trilobites? Jehanne 41 2928 October 24, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Why did my mom tell me that feelings are enough to have religion? Der/die AtheistIn 11 1350 April 2, 2019 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  If God's Not An Asshole His Followers Are Minimalist 21 3047 August 13, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Man creates in his own image Foxaèr 7 1098 June 14, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So why did the hook nose "become a thing" in discriminatory appearance? Roberto 12 3572 January 23, 2018 at 5:52 am
Last Post: LadyForCamus
Question Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words? Der/die AtheistIn 63 11565 January 17, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  So can god end his own existence? Vast Vision 53 14140 July 27, 2017 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Godscreated