Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 11:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism?
RE: Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism?
(March 30, 2022 at 8:40 pm)Belacqua Wrote: Finally, it is a commonplace of Christian belief that when God unfolds the events of history, he does so in the way that a human author writes a novel. The author may describe an event which is clearly understood by the reader to have more than literal significance. Christians say that God does the same, so that the defeat of the Moabites, for example, is a literal event which has an allegorical meaning inherent in it from the beginning. (I understand that non-religious people will not accept the origin of these meanings, but it shows how allegory functions for believers.)

I think it is also worth noting that narrative is how our brains perceive and interpret the social world in much the same way that science is how we understand the natural world. Events get abstracted into stories with plots and characters and other literary devices including allegory. So, these aren't merely artifacts of literature, they are cognitive maps for representing the world. And I would argue that a God that wanted to communicate something to us in the most effective way possible must do so in the form of narrative.

So yeah, I agree that Scripture presents itself as a compilation of literal events whose happenings were allegorical from the beginning. But there's also a sense in which these events were selected specifically because of their contribution to the greater narrative. And you can see this in the Gospel of John, for example, who says that Jesus did many other things besides the ones he is writing down. In other words (and to address Vulcan's concern) John is telling us that he is only telling us events that carry narrative and allegorical value.

Edit: Neo posted at the same time, and he explained it more concisely lol.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism? - by John 6IX Breezy - March 31, 2022 at 12:20 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Satan better than God? Disagreeable 37 2791 January 31, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 2946 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  I am a better person than God! chimp3 56 10423 May 24, 2018 at 1:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  I am better than God! chimp3 24 4724 September 26, 2016 at 8:53 am
Last Post: brewer
  Creationists are better than inconsistent Christians orangedude 14 1958 April 27, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11007 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4985 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion Heat 23 4563 December 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: abaris
  Christian Fundamentalism vis a vis Muslim Fundamentalism Rhondazvous 12 2284 November 1, 2015 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19954 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon