Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 6:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to select which supernatural to believe?
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe?
(July 20, 2022 at 1:57 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Strange, I never found it akward at all.  Lemme check again.  Your god is imaginary.  Nope, still not awkward.  Did you know that people have been saying that on record, for thousands of years?  I bet they didn't find it any more awkward then then I do now..but it was definitely a whole lot more dangerous.  You lot get pissy about it in a big murderous way.

As to sophisticated excuses....? I don't have any excuses for your imaginary god, or for my position on it, that's your ao..though I've never seen you offer a sophisticated one.

It's a matter of fact that atheism in its modern sense wasn't widespread -to put it charitably- in the West before the Renaissance, and it was almost nonexistent in the Islamic world. The East was probably the only portion in the world who explicitly endorsed godless philosophies/religions (Buddhism, Jainism, ..), and even in these religions one finds many figures of gods and supernatural entities. Among ancient greek philosophers, one frequently encounters the name Epicurus as an important thinker in the history of atheism, the problem is that the guy did maintain that the gods existed.

It was awkward indeed to not believe in God before Darwin. Like seriously, the appearance of design is an overwhelming indication of God's existence, and some famous atheists today acknowledge that if there were no theory of evolution, they would believe in God or the first mover (Sean Caroll said that verbatim in his debate with WLC). 
And it doesn't take a genius to figure out that evolution is actually irrelevant to God's existence, so Sean Caroll really should just believe in God, I guess.

So one might ask, what about the sincere atheists today? My personal take is that the corruption of christianity is the key reason for atheism in our era, here's why: people are naturally tilted to explain things teleologically and believe in a creator, but since deism is untenable because it's a hollow idea (you just believe an entity, that you know nothing about, exists), people turn to organized religion, and the leading organized religion happens to be christianity, which has many untenable beliefs like the Trinity/the Resurrection/the original sin, etc. And because of that, people reject belief altogether.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by R00tKiT - July 20, 2022 at 2:25 pm
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by GUBU - August 25, 2022 at 8:43 pm
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by GUBU - August 25, 2022 at 8:46 pm
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by Jehanne - October 29, 2022 at 10:06 am
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by Jehanne - November 13, 2022 at 4:40 pm
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by Jehanne - November 13, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which major religion will die first? FrustratedFool 8 960 April 25, 2024 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Abrahamic roots of racism, which one is worst Sammin 2 1181 October 6, 2018 at 10:09 am
Last Post: brewer
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7965 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Which is more attractive? love or death? WinterHold 44 6501 October 23, 2016 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8601 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  So, this is something upon which I was reflecting Foxaèr 12 2685 June 2, 2016 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Ways in which I'm more powerful than God robvalue 63 9814 November 20, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religious people - Which music is pure? Dystopia 59 9516 June 26, 2015 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Which religion would you like to be true? Jacob(smooth) 50 9297 March 17, 2015 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Spooky
  Watch Reza Aslan Pick and Choose Which "Facts" He Thinks Are Real Minimalist 3 1113 March 8, 2015 at 12:23 am
Last Post: dyresand