Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 6:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to select which supernatural to believe?
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe?
(July 20, 2022 at 2:42 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: It's true that the more murderous and repressive an area was at any given time, public expressions of dissenting viewpoints (about anything) were relatively rare.  A weird flex, but true.

Do I need to mention that the majority of the world population today is religious, including in highly developed countries like the U.S. ? If belief in God were solely motivated by fear and repression, you wouldn't have many believers nowadays in these countries.

(July 20, 2022 at 2:42 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: The corruption of christianity?  You just lost a whole lot of believers, and didn't convince a single atheist.  Well done.  Maybe the biggest reason for a rise in atheism today particularly in the west is a sentiment you can find from the far east thousands of years ago.  There are no gods or afterlives.  This is all for the benefit of the earthly priests.

I am yet to read, at least once in my life, a sound argument for God or the afterlife not existing. What we do know for sure is that if a just God exists, an afterlife definitely exists. You're clearly asserting that there are no gods, the burden of proof is on you now.

Objecting to religion on the grounds that it benefits priests is an appeal to consequences, a fallacy.

(July 20, 2022 at 2:42 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Speaking for myself, as one of those sincere atheists, christianity had nothing to do with it, corrupted or otherwise.  I'm one of those guys who never believed, as I've told you many times.  The gods of christianity are discarded as a matter of course because they are gods....gods have not been discarded as a matter of course, because of christianity. 

I got to tell you, I find it really hard to believe, that you were never inclined to believe in some sort of higher power, or that you never wished there is a very powerful being who can redress all the forms of injustice. I can understand if you found christianity repelling or implausible, or if you thought this religion represents God's intentions.

Beliefs like the resurrection and the original sin surely repelled many many people. The idea that a God will sacrifice himself, then raise himself from the dead so that we, his creation, can be saved, has no plausibility whatsoever. The idea that there is a Father, a Son, a Holy Spirit, and that they cannot exist without one another, resembles the weird fantasies people read in Japanese manga, it's obviously contrived and made up- with all due respect, ofc, to any christian who reads this. Nontrinitarianism is clearly more plausible, I just don't understand why it's not the mainstream christian doctrine.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by R00tKiT - July 20, 2022 at 5:05 pm
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by GUBU - August 25, 2022 at 8:43 pm
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by GUBU - August 25, 2022 at 8:46 pm
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by Jehanne - October 29, 2022 at 10:06 am
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by Jehanne - November 13, 2022 at 4:40 pm
RE: How to select which supernatural to believe? - by Jehanne - November 13, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which major religion will die first? FrustratedFool 8 960 April 25, 2024 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Abrahamic roots of racism, which one is worst Sammin 2 1181 October 6, 2018 at 10:09 am
Last Post: brewer
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7965 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Which is more attractive? love or death? WinterHold 44 6501 October 23, 2016 at 6:54 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
Question Why disbelievers believe? They believe in so called “God of the gaps”. theBorg 49 8601 August 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  So, this is something upon which I was reflecting Foxaèr 12 2685 June 2, 2016 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Ways in which I'm more powerful than God robvalue 63 9814 November 20, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religious people - Which music is pure? Dystopia 59 9516 June 26, 2015 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Which religion would you like to be true? Jacob(smooth) 50 9297 March 17, 2015 at 9:40 am
Last Post: Spooky
  Watch Reza Aslan Pick and Choose Which "Facts" He Thinks Are Real Minimalist 3 1113 March 8, 2015 at 12:23 am
Last Post: dyresand