Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's what can happen to an atheist in a Muslim country
Here's what can happen to an atheist in a Muslim country
Ashraf Fayadh - - Palestinian poet . . . originally sentenced to 4 years in jail and 800 lashes, now sentenced to death.  "The religious police first detained Fayadh in August 2013 after receiving a complaint that he was cursing against Allah and the prophet Muhammad, insulting Saudi Arabia and distributing a book of his poems that promoted atheism." 

They apparently didn't make that stick, so they went after him for smoking and having long hair. Then he posted a video online of religious police lashing a man in public, and they really went after him.  This is what happens when a religion dictates the law of the land.  

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/no...cing-islam
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Here's what can happen to an atheist in a Muslim country
Ssh...those are our allies.  Don't you know that the Saudis are the good head choppers?
OK muslims, time to step up. Tell me again how this is a religion of love, peace and tolerance.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Religious police? that is just such a weird idea I can't get my head around it.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

It's not exactly new.

[Image: dell-iot.jpg]
(February 12, 2016 at 2:53 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Religious police?  that is just such a weird idea I can't get my head around it.

Imagine christer religious police in the US.

Jesus, is there a single person in the whole country doing it right ??

It would be a blood bath . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 12, 2016 at 7:03 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:
(February 12, 2016 at 2:53 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Religious police?  that is just such a weird idea I can't get my head around it.

Imagine christer religious police  in the US.

Jesus, is there a single person in the whole country doing it right ??

It would be a blood bath . . .
Ted Cruz is working on it.
I'm not excusing what the Saudis euphemistically call 'justice', but to be fair, Ashraf Fayadh was fairly stupid to run his yap about Saudi atrocities while IN Saudi Arabia.

It's fine to take the high road and point out the brutality and corruption of the system, but it is almost always a good idea to do so where the system you're criticizing can't get at you. I admire Fayadh's courage, but seriously, mate - Salmon Rushdie didn't visit Iran for a book tour of 'The Satanic Verses'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Sure, that is true.

But being naive/overly brave shouldn't be a severely punishable offense.

This kind of shit is why Islam is such a "rapidly growing religion". It's the one most willing to use violence and force. Mind you, that's mainly because it's the religion that is in a position to get away with it. I wouldn't expect any better behaviour from Christianity, if the roles were reversed.

Religious police my arse cheeks. Allah must have a glass jaw and little itty bitty feelings.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Quote:But being naive/overly brave shouldn't be a severely punishable offense.

I agree completely, but this isn't about what Saudi Arabia should or shouldn't be, but about what Saudi Arabia is - a brutally repressive theocracy run by a family of 7th century throwbacks whose only methods of dealing with dissent are to jail, torture and murder dissenters.

Remember during the opening scene of 'Pulp Fiction', and the discussion about Antoine Roccamura? Well, to paraphrase Vincent Vega, 'Fucking Fayadh shoulda fucking known better.'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can you be a "Non religious muslim"? Woah0 31 1771 August 22, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11111 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 1849 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Muslim students less likely to be awarded top class degrees. Succubus#2 28 2344 March 22, 2020 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  An interesting Muslim-Atheist discussion on Religion and Rationality SuperSentient 10 2894 March 5, 2017 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
Question Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it? theBorg 52 8951 October 3, 2016 at 9:02 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Most Hell-bound country? TrueChristian 40 8206 January 4, 2016 at 3:12 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Christian Fundamentalism vis a vis Muslim Fundamentalism Rhondazvous 12 2251 November 1, 2015 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Being an ex-muslim in Britain Napoléon 24 4569 October 13, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can Dystopia 25 5262 July 14, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope