Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were other European religions better than Christianity?
Were other European religions better than Christianity?
I think so. The Pagan religions of Greco Roman Civilization, the Anglo Saxons and the Vikings were in essence far more tolerant to other cultures and didn't have the dogma of Christianity had that all people of other religions should be killed or converted to that religion.

The Roman Empire was a relatively tolerant place religiously until Christianity took hold, and pagans didn't start wars in the name of their religion.

It may be true that they all have the problem of believing in fictional myths but still Paganism >> Christianity and encourages a far better standard of morality.
RE: Were other European religions better than Christianity?
Except when they weren't. Human history is bloody, polytheists and monotheists both. Polytheism can have a sort of built in tolerance for other faiths. "Many gods and so why not yours as well." It doesn't always work out that way though. Even when it does, there's usually a current of "many gods, but mine are the best, the greatest". Cue Rome...lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(December 22, 2011 at 2:13 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Except when they weren't. Human history is bloody, polytheists and monotheists both. Polytheism can have a sort of built in tolerance for other faiths. "Many gods and so why not yours as well." It doesn't always work out that way though. Even when it does, there's usually a current of "many gods, but mine are the best, the greatest". Cue Rome...lol.

It isn't a fundamental part of pagan religions though that all non believers in their god should be put to death as it is with Christianity.

I think thats why Christianity was so successful in the end because it was the most intolerant religion in Europe and it was seen as God's work to kill all non believers and conbvert everyone to Christianity.

I think the Goths of antiquity, among other polytheistic peoples, had some rather nasty religious habits.
Trying to update my sig ...
(December 22, 2011 at 2:41 pm)Epimethean Wrote: I think the Goths of antiquity, among other polytheistic peoples, had some rather nasty religious habits.

Weren't the goths christians, just not catholic christians a bit like the cathars?

Quote:The conversion of the Goths to Christianity was a relatively swift process, facilitated on the one hand by the assimilation of (primarily female) Christian captives into Gothic society[5] and on the other by a general equation of participation in Roman society with adherence to Christianity.[6] Within a few generations of their appearance on the borders of the Empire in 238 AD, the conversion of the Goths to Christianity was nearly all-inclusive. The Christian cross appeared on coins in Gothic Crimea shortly after the Edict of Tolerance was issued by Galerius in 311 AD, and a bishop by the name of Theophilas Gothiae was present at the Council of Nicaea in 325 AD.[4] However, fighting between Pagan and Christian Goths continued throughout this period, and religious persecutions - echoing the Diocletianic Persecution (302-11 AD) - occurred frequently. The Christian Goths Wereka, Batwin and others were martyred by order of Wingourichos ca. 370 AD, and Saba was martyred by order of Athanaric in 372 AD.

ooh they had a mix of faiths.

You live and learn.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I am to understand Xavier, that Pagan religions were more insular in their tribal practice...ie: One never discussed ones tribal god/deity or name to any outsider.

As for morality?? That is moot, but could be successfully compared with today's level of xtian morality.

Wherever you get people you are going to get conflict and the desire to "out do the Joneses" , to "appear superior" and attribute one's "specialness" to one's deity

What CAN be extrapolated from Pagan (pre-judeo-xtian-islamic) religions is that the stories are all the same only the deities have changed to protect the innocent.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
"Better"? Of course not.

Religions have always been invented by men for men.They always reflect the culture ,times and mores of those who invent them.Christianity, a thoroughly derivative religion,is no better or worse than most other religions in human history. It the emphasis believers give their religion which sets its tone. Christians (and theists generally) have always been able to use their religion to justify being dead cunts .Many fundamentalists still do.Tiger
(December 22, 2011 at 2:23 pm)Xavier Wrote: It isn't a fundamental part of pagan religions though that all non believers in their god should be put to death as it is with Christianity.

I think thats why Christianity was so successful in the end because it was the most intolerant religion in Europe and it was seen as God's work to kill all non believers and conbvert everyone to Christianity.

Read the Qur'An and the Torah lately?
If you're a not kosher haram infidel you're a walking target!

But yes, in Europe Xtianity was the most intolerant major religion. Who can forget the fun times we had with the Inquisition, eh? Actually with two Inquisitions! The Spanish one, started by Torquemada and reinvigorated with a vengeance a century later by Ferdinand and Isabella, and the Roman, Vatican one.
In France they didn't need an Inquisition. The people – i.e. the mob – took care of lynching, ostracizing, and chasing off reformists like the Hugenots.
Religion-inspired fascism avant la lettre.
(December 22, 2011 at 10:11 pm)padraic Wrote: "Better"? Of course not.

Religions have always been invented by men for men.They always reflect the culture ,times and mores of those who invent them.Christianity, a thoroughly derivative religion,is no better or worse than most other religions in human history. It the emphasis believers give their religion which sets its tone. Christians (and theists generally) have always been able to use their religion to justify being dead cunts .Many fundamentalists still do.Tiger

Christianity's bloody history says otherwise

Are you perhaps speaking of the matriarchal religions??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 11720 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 714 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism? vulcanlogician 147 7790 April 5, 2022 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Is Satan better than God? Disagreeable 37 2587 January 31, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 23975 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 6450 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 20892 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 663 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1409 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1847 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am