Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There Are Times When I Am Ashamed of Some Americans
There Are Times When I Am Ashamed of Some Americans
This is one of those times.

There are times when I don't think you quite get the mentality of people in some part of the US ( ahem....Texas). This should help.

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/22/144079041/...udget-cuts

Quote:Leander has already eliminated golf and tennis. What if football is next?

"I'd spend a thousand bucks out of pocket myself to make sure it'd stay," says Ross Briton, whose son plays football. "I'd work two jobs if it took that to do it. End of story."

Briton says it's not just a sport here: It's part of the culture and a big part of the community's identity. The district should pare down the curriculum before it cuts football, he says.

"I would cut most liberal arts out of the high school. I'd keep math, science, reading. I'd add the vocational education back, because I think there's too much fluff," Briton says.

Dumb motherfucker.
RE: There Are Times When I Am Ashamed of Some Americans
Oh dear.... This does not bode well. Sad
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Make parents pay for the program. /story Fucking idiots. I have to pay out of my ass whenever my stepson wants to do sports. That's how you keep sports. If there is a shortage of kids, there isn't enough money. Then, you send the money back to already enrolled kids and cut the program. How the hell haven't people figured that out down there yet?
Football is a religion to these asswipes.

[Image: quarterback-jesus2.jpg]
I think sports are important for kids. The problem here isn't whether the kids should play football, but why these morons have not figured out that it does not have to be state or town funded. It is not that expensive to pay for football games to be held. Fuck, it is a matter of having a school bus, a coach and a field handy. The fees they charge up here more than cover it. Do kids play football for free down there? I'm just confused as to why it is even part of the budget.
Quote:I think sports are important for kids.

Yes...and no. Yes sports are important TO PLAY. To learn teamwork and sacrificing for a goal.

But when it becomes an excuse to shout "we're number one" or forget that school is supposed to be about getting an education and not one more social occasion that's losing sight of its value.
Agreed. That is why they are "extracurricular" activities. Frankly, the only sports I ever entered my stepson into were baseball, basketball (camp) and karate, so I'm not really on the up-and-up about high school football. I just know that you can't play if your grades suck here and you have to pay out of your ass to play. Still, we have a pretty top-notch team. You don't have to be dingleberries to have great sports and academics. I know the school has a great drama club, a film club, foreign language electives, art electives, etc. Most of the town hall screamers would rather chew their arms off than cut a program.
Quote:That is why they are "extracurricular" activities.

In Texas it seems they are the end all and be all. Kind of explains Dubya and Rick Perry.
Fuuuck!

Australians are sports mad,to the point that it has been said half-seriously that sport is our national religion. Makes sense;one can engage either activity without engaging the cerebral cortex.

We have a LOT of sports throughout school,but there is no"high school football" watched by anyone other than the parents of players.

Our universities have a few teams of various sports but the concept of "College football/baskeball etc " is unknown here.

Yes, of course we had jocks at my school. Stars on the field, but they tended not to do well scholastically, what with being no-necked-monobrow-knuckle-draggers and all. The odd few managed to secure an apprenticeship.The rest tended to have rewarding careers as factory workers.Today I guess it's a McJob. OK times HAVE changed; today the professional leagues DO recruit straight from highschool.

PS I thought that Forest Gump (IQ of 70) got a college sports scholarship AND graduated was funny satire. Apparently not.Thinking
Not sure how taxpayers became responsible for "extra-curriculars" in the first place. Football is a dumb-ass sport in the first place.... (says the rabid hockey fan)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I dont get why Americans are complaining about Monarchy Woah0 0 499 September 10, 2022 at 10:45 am
Last Post: Woah0
  For Americans Who are willing to act Rhizomorph13 13 910 September 21, 2020 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Sal
  polls, Americans don't think about Russia Interaktive 21 1516 December 13, 2019 at 6:22 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Americans supporting sexual misconduct survivors even less than before? Rev. Rye 6 965 October 28, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My Word. How Times Have Changed! Minimalist 8 945 October 6, 2018 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ever notice that there are little to no trolls on sites like La Times or WaPo GODZILLA 4 707 June 30, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Feminism in prehistoric times / primitive culture larson 107 22599 May 18, 2017 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  New York Times, CNN, others barred from press briefing Aegon 93 13800 February 27, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  David Brooks in the NY Times on Trump's inaugural day Whateverist 9 1896 January 20, 2017 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Americans.. Just why? WinterHold 11 1350 November 10, 2016 at 10:17 am
Last Post: WinterHold