Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York Times, CNN, others barred from press briefing
New York Times, CNN, others barred from press briefing
The third thread in my little series I like to call, "Trump vs the First Amendment," Trump does exactly what I've been afraid of:

White House bars Daily News and many other outlets from press briefing after Trump threatens to 'do something' about the media

Quote:The White House ramped up its war with the press Friday afternoon, barring multiple outlets including the Daily News from getting to ask questions as it let in a select few for a briefing from Press Secretary Sean Spicer.

Among the many outlets barred from Spicer's office: CNN, The New York Times, The Hill, Politico, RealClearPolitics, BBC, and The News. Others — the conservative Breitbart and One America News Network — were given the nod and allowed in, as well as Fox News, ABC, NBC and the standard rotating "pool" of reporters who are allowed in to every public event.

The move came just hours after President Trump promised to "do something" about the "fake news" during a speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference — and after Spicer angrily scolded reporters Friday morning for recent coverage of the FBI's reported investigation of ties between Russia and Trump's team.

It seems to be a calculated decision, possibly aimed at getting reporters to focus on inside-the-Beltway stories about the White House blocking access and playing games rather than bigger stories on what major actions the Trump administration is carrying out.

The White House canceled its planned on-camera daily press briefing and instead opted to have an off-camera meeting, known as a "gaggle," in Spicer's office — and chose who got to get in, outside the inner circle of reporters who are allowed on a rotating basis to attend all public events with President Trump. Reporters from a few outlets including Time and Associated Press refused to attend in protest.

The highly unusual move led to howls from reporters, who one by one were waved away from entering Spicer's office if they'd fallen on the wrong side of Trump's naughty or nice list.

CNN, the Daily News and others gathered to ask for an explanation of who was being allowed in, and White House spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham accused the reporters of "threatening" her when one reporter said that we would be filing stories about the issue.

A White House staffer insisted on anonymity to push back on the characterization that the daily briefing had been canceled.

"On background I can tell you that we didn’t cancel the daily briefing in order to gaggle. In reality, we didn’t hold the briefing because the President gave a big speech today. That is pretty common and has been done in several past administrations," a staffer emailed in response to questions about what criteria the White House staff used to select who was allowed in, and why the meeting was canceled. "In addition, it was an expanded pool gaggle so we actually allowed more press in than the usual pooled events. TV and print poolers were there so all outlets were represented."

The White House Correspondents' Association immediately fired back at the White House's decision.

"The WHCA board is protesting strongly against how today's gaggle is being handled by the White House. We encourage the organizations that were allowed in to share the material with others in the press corps who were not. The board will be discussing this further with White House staff," WHCA president Jeff Mason said in a statement.

The daily "poolers" — those who were in the pool rotation — will send a transcript to the rest of the White House reporters on what Spicer said. But the move keeps him from having to answer questions from outlets he doesn't want to deal with.

Senior White House reporters said they'd never seen another presidential administration make this move. But Trump did the same thing on the campaign trail, barring outlets he deemed hostile like Politico, the Washington Post, BuzzFeed, the Huffington Post and the Des Moines Register from getting press credentials.

"I'm not against the media, I'm not against the press. I don't mind bad stories when I deserve them… I am only against the fake news media, the fake press," Trump insisted in his Friday morning speech. "I love the First Amendment. Nobody loves it more than me."
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: New York Times, CNN, others barred from press briefing
I fucking well expect to hear real conservatives speak up against this latest outrage. Trump's assault on a free press is intolerable. Standing up to him and his goons should be a bi-partisan no-brainer. I'm curious to see how many Republicans find their balls.
"...were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter..."

Thomas Jefferson
The situation in the US is getting more unbelievable every day. Please tell me that there are still actual Americans in this country, on both sides of the aisle, who share the values of the American revolution?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Indeed, and it would appear he's back on the nukes again proclaiming to build up the US arsenal to be largest in the world for some unknown reason and throwing in a threat to Europe in to the mix...
Trump's Nuclear growth progamme
Quote:...we're never going to fall behind on nuclear power...  we're going to be at the top of the pack... [he] could not rule out using nuclear weapons against Europe.
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
Once again Trump shows he's a thin skinned coward .Who simply wants mindless sycophants to praise him. And his supporters cry that it's Liberals who want censorship and safe and safe spaces the hypocrites .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(February 24, 2017 at 5:56 pm)Alex K Wrote: The situation in the US is getting more unbelievable every day. Please tell me that there are still actual Americans in this country, on both sides of the aisle, who share the values of the American revolution?

What values are those?
(February 24, 2017 at 6:24 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(February 24, 2017 at 5:56 pm)Alex K Wrote: The situation in the US is getting more unbelievable every day. Please tell me that there are still actual Americans in this country, on both sides of the aisle, who share the values of the American revolution?

What values are those?

What Thomas Paine said.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Conservative safe space?
(February 24, 2017 at 6:27 pm)Alex K Wrote:
(February 24, 2017 at 6:24 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: What values are those?

What Thomas Paine said.

Those were excuses for not paying taxes to London after Britain had expended its own treasures to extirpate the French threat to the thirteen colonies, not any principle to be taken seriously enough to free the slaves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Press Conference Brian37 4 347 January 20, 2021 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Listening to President Trump's Press Conference onlinebiker 12 1503 November 8, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  My Word. How Times Have Changed! Minimalist 8 945 October 6, 2018 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Trumps press conference....eek! Dancefortwo 14 881 September 27, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Ever notice that there are little to no trolls on sites like La Times or WaPo GODZILLA 4 707 June 30, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  CNN: No one cares about Russia John V 143 13674 January 27, 2018 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Fake CNN report recorded on tape; 2017; London Attacks WinterHold 12 4995 June 27, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: FFaith
  Feminism in prehistoric times / primitive culture larson 107 22588 May 18, 2017 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  First briefing to reporters Manowar 16 2877 January 25, 2017 at 8:10 am
Last Post: GUBU
  David Brooks in the NY Times on Trump's inaugural day Whateverist 9 1896 January 20, 2017 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0