Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feminism in prehistoric times / primitive culture
Feminism in prehistoric times / primitive culture
Is it possible in theory that feminism in some form could conceivably have existed in prehistoric times or in any primitive culture?
RE: Feminism in prehistoric times
Hello.

Give us your definition of feminism and tell us your thoughts.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Feminism in prehistoric times / primitive culture
When you say primitive societies, do you mean ancient ones or are you referring to conservative America and some Muslim societies?
Dying to live, living to die.
I'm pretty sure the men and women took turns taking the kids to soccer practice in 1,000,000 BC.
(April 10, 2017 at 8:50 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I'm pretty sure the men and women took turns taking the kids to soccer practice in 1,000,000 BC.

Not from what I've seen on The Flintstones.
(April 10, 2017 at 9:02 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(April 10, 2017 at 8:50 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I'm pretty sure the men and women took turns taking the kids to soccer practice in 1,000,000 BC.

Not from what I've seen on The Flintstones.

I thought Betty had that mini mammoth vibrator. Does that make feminist or just fun?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(April 10, 2017 at 9:07 pm)mh.brewer Wrote:
(April 10, 2017 at 9:02 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Not from what I've seen on The Flintstones.

I thought Betty had that mini mammoth vibrator. Does that make feminist or just fun?

You leave Barney out of this...

Tongue

(April 10, 2017 at 8:30 pm)larson Wrote: Is it possible in theory that feminism in some form could conceivably have existed in prehistoric times or in any primitive culture?

There has been much speculation among anthropologists and paleoanthropologists that fertility cults based on a mother-goddess concept significantly predate the more structured religions which arose after the agricultural revolution and the consequent growth of stratified societies.  The evidence for these concepts is slim.  Do a search on matriarchal religion.

I have no idea if that constitutes "feminism."
From what I can remember of my very brief study of hunter-gatherer societies, in the earliest days, it tended to be fairly strictly sexually stratified: men did the hunting, women did the gathering, and once we discovered agriculture, it all went downhill from there. And surprisingly, that was probably the closest we as a species came to gender equality until recent decades.

Admittedly, it's nowhere near the biggest area of my historical expertise, but it's a start.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(April 10, 2017 at 9:28 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(April 10, 2017 at 8:30 pm)larson Wrote: Is it possible in theory that feminism in some form could conceivably have existed in prehistoric times or in any primitive culture?

There has been much speculation among anthropologists and paleoanthropologists that fertility cults based on a mother-goddess concept significantly predate the more structured religions which arose after the agricultural revolution and the consequent growth of stratified societies.  The evidence for these concepts is slim.  Do a search on matriarchal religion.

I have no idea if that constitutes "feminism."

Idealized people don't translate easily to the real world. SWAG on: Just because they worships the Earth Mother doesn't mean the men treated the women as equals. SWAG off.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manipulation culture by left wingers Richi29 13 1098 July 24, 2020 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Police in USA arent racist, its just American culture is all Ramus932 10 835 June 14, 2020 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Zepp
  Hipster or Edgelord culture? Docto021 16 2192 May 14, 2019 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  I've been thinking about racism, immigration, violence, murder and culture Shinri 6 718 October 12, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  My Word. How Times Have Changed! Minimalist 8 945 October 6, 2018 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ever notice that there are little to no trolls on sites like La Times or WaPo GODZILLA 4 707 June 30, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Anyone else live in Arizona and tired of the political culture NuclearEnergy 13 3403 April 22, 2017 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My thoughts on modern day intersectionalist feminism] Lebneni Murtad 14 3644 March 7, 2017 at 4:06 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  New York Times, CNN, others barred from press briefing Aegon 93 13799 February 27, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Periods, body positivity, and third wave feminism BrokenQuill92 143 11953 February 8, 2017 at 11:06 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady