Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seven years for flat out murder?
Seven years for flat out murder?
I've decided that Australia should change it's tourism slogan to:

"If you wish to commit murder and not have the judge believe your assertion, but get off comparatively easy, come to Australia!"

Quote:DARWIN, Australia -- Four people convicted in the beating death of a woman during what they said was an exorcism ritual on a remote Australian island were sentenced Friday to several years in jail.

... snip ...
Some of the accused had originally claimed that they beat Bara as part of an exorcism intended to cleanse her of the devil. But on Friday, Northern Territory Supreme Court Justice Peter Barr said the accused attacked Bara simply to cause her pain and humiliation.

"I am not satisfied that any of the accused thought she had the devil in her," he said.
REF: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/23...ly%20Brief

The judge thought that their rationalization was fake. Nothing like a maximum of seven years to teach the value of human life and doing nothing.

Sorry, Kichi and Zen, but your chosen country of residence manages to outbatshit mine through having a justice system like that.

And to think that Australia was peopled by aborigines and criminals. Nice to see that hasn't changed (for the criminals that is).
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
RE: Seven years for flat out murder?
Well, there surely must be a reason why these men got away with only 7 years.
Clearly a loophole in the law or something.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
I remember reading something somewhere that they are lax in their murder punishments. I believe I read about a case where a woman flayed her husband and tried to feed him to her kids (unsuccessfully, thank goodness) and was the first woman to get life without parole in 1955. There had to have been murders worthy of it before then.

Kathleen Folbigg killed four kids and got 30 years, only 25 without parole.

On a side note, they did use the death penalty until the turn of the century. It seems they are getting more lax. They should just send them into the wilderness with no water and no shoes.
(December 23, 2011 at 9:27 pm)Shell B Wrote: I remember reading something somewhere that they are lax in their murder punishments. I believe I read about a case where a woman flayed her husband and tried to feed him to her kids (unsuccessfully, thank goodness) and was the first woman to get life without parole in 1955. There had to have been murders worthy of it before then.

Kathleen Folbigg killed four kids and got 30 years, only 25 without parole.

On a side note, they did use the death penalty until the turn of the century. It seems they are getting more lax. They should just send them into the wilderness with no water and no shoes.

Well, even Anders Breivik, under current Norwegian law, won't get a sentence more than 20 years at most, probably.
Varg got away with killing Euronymous with 14 years, and boy you should have seen how he carved him up...
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Yep. Some laws are stupid. That's when corruption comes in handy. Nail the guy for something else the second he walks.
(December 23, 2011 at 7:29 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote:

Sorry, Kichi and Zen, but your chosen country of residence manages to outbatshit mine through having a justice system like that.

And to think that Australia was peopled by aborigines and criminals. Nice to see that hasn't changed (for the criminals that is).

No need to apologise we were both born here...after all it IS a CONVICT Island and you still need a criminal record to get through Immigration...I give you all the Muslim fucknuckles that are arriving by boat here.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(December 23, 2011 at 9:27 pm)Shell B Wrote: I remember reading something somewhere that they are lax in their murder punishments. I believe I read about a case where a woman flayed her husband and tried to feed him to her kids (unsuccessfully, thank goodness) and was the first woman to get life without parole in 1955. There had to have been murders worthy of it before then.

"mummy mummy I dont like dad"
"Never mind dear, just push him to the side and eat your chips"Wink Shades

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Quote: Glenys Wurrawilya, Susie Wurrawilya, Paul Wurramara and Roderick Mamarika pleaded guilty to negligent manslaughter in connection with the beating, which several children witnessed.Groote Eylandt, home to an Aboriginal and mining community of around 1,500, is about 30 miles (50 kilometers) from the northern Australia mainland.

They were Aboriginal and so are treated VERY leniently..thanks to the interference of the UN...poor oppressed individuals that they are.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I noticed that the offenders were all Aboriginal.

In my experience the Aboriginals will usually get a lighter sentence than anyone else.

On a lighter note I saw this in the sidebar.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/22...ostpopular

Wouldn't that be the most amazing experience.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  6 of 7 great seven is use Latin ABC Interaktive 26 2058 April 28, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  80 years.. WinterHold 45 1517 August 23, 2020 at 6:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  I've been thinking about racism, immigration, violence, murder and culture Shinri 6 705 October 12, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Seven states bar people with a criminal record from receiving victim's compensation Angrboda 34 2259 September 23, 2018 at 5:16 am
Last Post: viocjit
  It Took the Republicunts 8 Years To Come Up With This? Minimalist 84 9291 March 16, 2017 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  For 8 Years No One Heard A Word From Dubya Minimalist 10 1961 February 28, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Predictions for the next four years TaraJo 45 7632 December 24, 2016 at 9:55 am
Last Post: tjakey
  Will America survive the next 4 years NuclearEnergy 17 1844 December 20, 2016 at 2:09 am
  Holy Shit! For The First Time in 120 Years Minimalist 5 978 September 28, 2016 at 11:54 am
  Lewis Black Brilliantly Predicts the Trump Campaign 4 Years Ago Minimalist 0 576 August 31, 2016 at 1:38 pm