Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 9:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Atheism is a religion
Atheism is a religion
Does it irritates you when religious people say Atheism is a religion? I mean does that statement even make sense? Is this some sort of mental defense thing to make them feel more comfortable? Like "Ha! You are no different. ATHEISM IS A RELIGION!". I don't see how lacking a fundamental belief system in some higher being or faith, which is what religion is, make it a religion? I don't know, I get this A LOT! I'm just about tired of it, in fact I was just in a debate about it, it makes no sense and it irritates me beyond imagination. Some Atheists I know even think science is BS! so No Science isn't a holy scripture or religious scripture either! It isn't based on blind faith.

Okay sorry for the rant.
RE: Atheism is a religion
Quote:Does it irritates you when religious people say Atheism is a religion?

Actually, it irritates me when theists breathe regularly.
(December 27, 2011 at 1:00 am)passionatefool Wrote: Does it irritates you when religious people say Atheism is a religion? I mean does that statement even make sense? Is this some sort of mental defense thing to make them feel more comfortable? Like "Ha! You are no different. ATHEISM IS A RELIGION!". I don't see how lacking a fundamental belief system in some higher being or faith, which is what religion is, make it a religion? I don't know, I get this A LOT! I'm just about tired of it, in fact I was just in a debate about it, it makes no sense and it irritates me beyond imagination. Some Atheists I know even think science is BS! so No Science isn't a holy scripture or religious scripture either! It isn't based on blind faith.

Okay sorry for the rant.

Atheism is simply a viewpoint of the universe... it has nothing to do with faith or belief, therefor does not fit the definition of "religion".... and yes, it does aggravate me "beyond belief" (pun most definitely intended).
(December 27, 2011 at 1:10 am)helmespc Wrote:
(December 27, 2011 at 1:00 am)passionatefool Wrote: Does it irritates you when religious people say Atheism is a religion? I mean does that statement even make sense? Is this some sort of mental defense thing to make them feel more comfortable? Like "Ha! You are no different. ATHEISM IS A RELIGION!". I don't see how lacking a fundamental belief system in some higher being or faith, which is what religion is, make it a religion? I don't know, I get this A LOT! I'm just about tired of it, in fact I was just in a debate about it, it makes no sense and it irritates me beyond imagination. Some Atheists I know even think science is BS! so No Science isn't a holy scripture or religious scripture either! It isn't based on blind faith.

Okay sorry for the rant.

Atheism is simply a viewpoint of the universe... it has nothing to do with faith or belief, therefor does not fit the definition of "religion".... and yes, it does aggravate me "beyond belief" (pun most definitely intended).

Big Grin lol you know i said "Beyond imagination" instead, I actually typed belief and then I erased it because I was avoiding using belief just so someone wouldn't call me religious XD but yes clever pun.
I believe in myself (and my abilities). Does that make it a religion?
I never understand what religious people are getting at when they use that as an attack.
It's as if they're trying to say "Ha, you're as bad as us!"
They don't understand that even if atheism was a religion (which it is not), it doesn't help them at all.
What falls away is always, and is near.

Also, I am not pretending to be female, this profile picture is my wonderful girlfriend. XD
Agreed.... exactly the same as the "atheism is a belief" or any other b/s stuff they try to pull. What are they trying to prove? Even if it were true, at least my "religion" would be rooted in fact. Hockey is my religion, though. I have plenty of proof of the existence of the Stanley Cup.
Yeah I really don't understand, but I think in a twisted and stupid way, that is how they try to reassure themselves that religion is the way to go...by making people who doesn't belong to any religion...a religion...
In effect they are hiding behind the white lie "you are just as bad as we". It is telling that the best attack theists can come up amounts to a challenge to race to the bottom. One would think if they really value their religion for what it offers, rather than cling to it as but a shield of deceit against the need to grow up, then they would think to give their religion more dignity than arguing for it from that utterly dismal angle.
(December 27, 2011 at 5:02 am)Chuck Wrote: In effect they are hiding behind the white lie "you are just as bad as we". It is telling that the best attack theists can come up amounts to a challenge to race to the bottom. One would think if they really value their religion for what it offers, rather than cling to it as but a shield of deceit against the need to grow up, then they give their religion more dignity than arguing for it from that dismal angle.

Yeah, its not a very convincing argument. Why not point to all the "good" things that religion might provide? I figure its probably because anything religion can provide, atheism can easily do better. Most of religion's "high" points are very much common courtesy moral values, which are laughably simple compared to real-world morality. So I guess resorting to "you're no better than me" is no surprise, then.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4954 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11386 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4232 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24753 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5960 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8566 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27100 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Yes, Atheism is a Religion Delicate 278 42594 December 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  No, Atheism isn't a Religion Napoléon 14 3254 December 14, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Comparing Religion to Fairy Tales and Myths Equal Atheism ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 13 4633 July 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: robvalue