Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to help my friend, but is it too late?
I want to help my friend, but is it too late?
Ugh... I have a very good friend who happens to be Christian. I used to not care so much that she beliefs, but I just feel sorry for her that she has to live a life covered in so much ignorance. It's not fair to her. I want to help her see reality, but everything I tried did not have much or any effect at all.

For example I ask her why anyone would believe in an invisible "something" that isn't proven to exist, and then tells me that the Bible (*sigh*) is the evidence. Or that some people might feel something is missing from their lives.

The funny thing is, she hasn't even read the Bible. Yet she's so brainwashed into believing, that she can't grasp any other sort of reality. Because she likes to belief, and says she has no reason not to belief.

I've showed her some videos of things like the Atheist Experience and some other atheists making flawless arguments against the logic of the belief and existance of god. But the only thing she comments about is why those people (the atheists) are so aggressive (lol?) with their stance against god and then either ignores the rest of the video, or just goes on about not understanding blahblahblah...

Is there anything I can do to help her? Or has she been brainwashed beyond the point of salvation?
What are things that can be effectively used to show someone how dumb this belief is? Any texts, quotes, videos etc?
RE: I want to help my friend, but is it too late?
Trying to convert someone to atheism is as bad as trying to convert someone to theism. All you'll end up doing is annoying her and alienating yourself away from what sounds like a perfectly decent friendship.

If she's happy in her ignorance then just let her be happy.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
The best example is you being happy and content with-out the "skydaddy" and brainwashing. You both sound young.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(January 3, 2012 at 8:31 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: The best example is you being happy and content with-out the "skydaddy" and brainwashing. You both sound young.

Ye sure OK, but can't we just do some subtle undermining?

"I'd like to believe but I can't believe in a god that allows so much suffering." This is pretty basic stuff, suitable for those who like the idea of the bible but don't actually read it. You could expand on it but it might be better to just sadly shake your head in disappointment.

[Image: YgZ8E.png]
(January 3, 2012 at 8:56 am)The Magic Pudding Wrote:
(January 3, 2012 at 8:31 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: The best example is you being happy and content with-out the "skydaddy" and brainwashing. You both sound young.

Ye sure OK, but can't we just do some subtle undermining?

"I'd like to believe but I can't believe in a god that allows so much suffering." This is pretty basic stuff, suitable for those who like the idea of the bible but don't actually read it. You could expand on it but it might be better to just sadly shake your head in disappointment.

Me living a good life free of any religious dogma has totalled many a lover and friend....

Why would I want to shake my head in disappointment??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe." - Carl Sagan

Let her have her fantasy.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(January 3, 2012 at 8:59 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Me living a good life free of any religious dogma has totalled many a lover and friend....

Why would I want to shake my head in disappointment??

I'm operating at about a 60-75% level of seriousness and falling.
A theist is a salesperson, how do you shake the resolve of a salesperson?
They've been selling this thing for a while, they probably know it's not quite right. Yes I do want a saucepan but your super saucepan has paint flaking off it. A lost sale to a willing customer is going make the salesman question their product, or maybe not, depends how honest they are with themselves. FSM Grin

[Image: YgZ8E.png]
Respectful people should be respected.

In the real world, I don't go around busting the balls of harmless christians who keep their stupidity to themselves.

I hate people who force their beliefs on me ... I certainly don't want to be be guilty of the same offense. I'm with Darwinian on this ... as long as she respects your right to non-belief, let her be.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I would suggest that she read the bible. Other than that, just leave her alone.

Your motives are good but you do not understand what you are up against. Religion is a crutch to get weak people through the day. Like any other bad habit, drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc, a person cannot be helped until they decide that they want to be helped. There is a reason 'god helps those who help themselves'.... it's because there is no fucking god to do any helping!

Your friend sounds as if she is not there yet and pushing her will simply increase her resistance. All you can do is try to plant a seed of doubt. Alei's idea sounds the most promising: Get her to actually READ that piece of shit bible and find out what a despicable document of murder and hatred it is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  didnt want to necropost: what completing the law means. Drich 18 1306 May 12, 2020 at 10:51 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Serious] What would you want in a church tackattack 44 3761 March 11, 2019 at 10:10 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Too Soon For a Lie YahwehIsTheWay 14 2635 December 5, 2018 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Too Late Fucktards. You Own Him Now. Minimalist 10 1504 October 10, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Theists - I want to know what you think LadyForCamus 77 10242 May 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why does my family want me to be christian so much? Der/die AtheistIn 17 2790 March 29, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Reason why aliens coming here will want to kill us Fake Messiah 20 6177 October 11, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19129 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Jesus. A Day Late and a Dollar Short Minimalist 20 4409 April 24, 2017 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What do i do im surrounded by christians and they want to change me? Asyrel 35 5098 November 10, 2016 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: dyresand