Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and Life Support
Atheism and Life Support
Mods: If this post is in the wrong area, please move it.

Many people say that when a person is brain-dead, s/he still has some measure of life that should be prolonged. I don't know much about this. Can a comatose person really hear and understand what is spoken to them even though s/he cannot respond? I have doubts about it. Theists say that the person's soul/spirit is active even though the body is simply in reflex-mode.

What is the atheistic viewpoint?
RE: Atheism and Life Support
Soul/Spirit is part of the same pile of mumbo jumbo from which wafts the stench of asserted deity.
Life is not an on and off thing.
There are shades of grey, your brain may be dead but your lungs still function and so do the other major organs but what would be the point of keeping that alive.
Your guts are filled with bacteria that are essential for your life would you keep the body alive for those?

I always find that the people calling for life to be saved at any cost are the first to call for executing criminals. Just an observation.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Depends on what parts of your brain is dead
Atheism deals only with the idea that there is no god.

To answer your question, I say pull the plug. We have enough brain dead xtians walking around now. We don't need any more.
It's more a gray area, however if the person is brain dead, with no hope of ever coming back, what is it exactly you are trying to save? Is it still that person? Or a husk of what used to be them? People like to romanticize life and consciousness, the fact of the matter is that your identity is a series of firing synapses and neurons, once that ends, you aren't you anymore.
"In our youth, we lacked the maturity, the decency to create gods better than ourselves so that we might have something to aspire to. Instead we are left with a host of deities who were violent, narcissistic, vengeful bullies who reflected our own values. Our gods could have been anything we could imagine, and all we were capable of manifesting were gods who shared the worst of our natures."-Me

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." – Francis Bacon
As Min said, there is no "atheist viewpoint" on this. There are individual viewpoints.

From my perspective, were I in such a situation, my advance directive says to pull the plug and let me die.
All I know is that when I get my things in order, I will have my loved ones pull the plug on me.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I just hope that my loved ones aren't a bunch of pussies about it... I hope they can actually do it without bitching.
Cunt
What's my atheistic viewpoint? If the person is religious, pull the plug. Big Grin

My personal viewpoint? Last time I went to the hospital, I told 'em DNR/Organ Donor. Wink

You're asking a tricky-assed moral question right there. Who's got the right to pull my plug? Any-fucking-body. Most people don't do the long term strategy. They be-bop through their lives until shit gets crucial and next of kin is called in to make moral choices. That should be avoided.
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In support of the rage of man bennyboy 244 11161 April 4, 2019 at 6:43 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  My new support for hedonism Transcended Dimensions 28 3142 March 17, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  How do you deal with life now that you are an atheist? (With a little of my life) Macoleco 135 14805 September 1, 2016 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life - lop0 11 4053 January 26, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Support of a claim pshun2404 13 4260 August 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: FallentoReason
  The value of a human life (and why abortion, economics, pulling the plug and triage) Autumnlicious 24 13268 June 26, 2010 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Violet