Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a dream reality possible?
I've been thinking more and more into this and here's what I got:
We are given "reality" through our senses, so there is reality then us but our senses in between the two. While the idea of our senses simply lying to us has been already given, I'm here to question: what if our life itself is just a computer telling us what we smell, hear, taste, see and feel? For instance, when I look to my lower right the computer sends signals that equate to my eyes seeing my keyboard. When i look to my upper left the computer tells me I am seeing a computer screen with text and color. As I move my hands to type these characters the computer tells me how they feel, how they sound and the alphabetical letters align with the sight of me pressing on them, along with the sound. What if? Is this really? Possible? How likely, if so?
RE: Is a dream reality possible?
(January 8, 2012 at 8:43 am)Brent Wrote: I've been thinking more and more into this and here's what I got:
We are given "reality" through our senses, so there is reality then us but our senses in between the two. While the idea of our senses simply lying to us has been already given, I'm here to question: what if our life itself is just a computer telling us what we smell, hear, taste, see and feel? For instance, when I look to my lower right the computer sends signals that equate to my eyes seeing my keyboard. When i look to my upper left the computer tells me I am seeing a computer screen with text and color. As I move my hands to type these characters the computer tells me how they feel, how they sound and the alphabetical letters align with the sight of me pressing on them, along with the sound. What if? Is this really? Possible? How likely, if so?

1. Go get yourself some sex

2. Get out of the house and away from your computer more...

3. seek psychiatric help.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I'm sure they made a movie of that.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron
[Image: 220px-Tron_poster.jpg]

[Image: trrron.jpg]
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I think it's possible, not necessarily for us but for a future us maybe. Your body wares out and your consciousness is digitised, as a cheaper university course, or during space travel. It's a good mind expanding exercise to imagine all kinds of strange things that could be possible, not Abrahamic god strange, that tends to be a brain shrivelling thing.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
If that's what is happening, then I want to find the asshole that wrote the code for menstruation and kick the ever loving shit out of him.

(January 8, 2012 at 8:43 am)Brent Wrote: I've been thinking more and more into this and here's what I got:

You think you are important enough for someone to take the pains to simulate a world for you?

Were this topic in the humour sub-forum I'd jest that traffic lights are this proposed virtual reality's representation of loading screens. That's why you'll often encounter red signals because the town/area up ahead hasn't finished loading yet. It can't handle you travelling around too quickly. So as not to violate the illusion of reality, it allows you "freedom" to pass that loading device. However there are consequences programmed in for comprising the illusion's stability. The system's fail-safe for you overriding the loading-screen by foot is to terminate/injure you with oncoming traffic, or by car, send the cops after your sorry rule-breaking ass. Big Grin

However this is philosophy (serious hat on), so your questions all boil down to how do we know this reality we exist within is really real? Well for starters, its as real as you or me. But our imagination moves the goalposts and scope of what is truly real, thereby arguing from absolute certainty. For all we know, we could be the dream of a giant alien that sleeps for millions/billions of years. The atoms we're made of are merely electrical signals from one of its dark matter brain synapses to another. When it wakes we're reabsorbed back into its memories, and fated to live out our lives again when its sleeps next. Maybe the pandeists are right and we're all God role-playing the lives of countless living creatures for fun and drama. We won't know until we 'die' and become God again. How would we know?

This isn't the Truman Show where the thin veneer of a real-world and real-life may be utterly destroyed by anomalies, technical difficulties or "miracles". From past experience, these never occur. If an intelligence is smart enough to anticipate every single possibility, action or inaction there would be no way we could investigate the lie or falsify what we perceive to be true. If such a sentience exists its futile trying to thwart it or escape its artificial simulation. We simply wouldn't know either way.

The problem with speculating everything around us is fake is that's its very counter-intuitive and this backward way of thinking accomplishes nothing but mental masturbation. Its as much of a waste of time as Pascal's Wager. Oh yes, its fun to consider for a minute or two, however dwelling on the subject matter inevitably results in manifestations of mental illnesses and paranoia.

Entertaining this puerile notion denigrates everything we have learned, and everything we currently do know about reality. Granted the more we learn, the more we realise how little we know, but that shouldn't discourage us. We are slowly moving towards the truth. We should be more worried if we contemplate that this is all objectively real and we're in fact, wasting our one-and-only-lives musing as if it weren't.

We can't keep doubting our senses over and over. We have to approach this from a pragmatic and rationalistic view-point. We know the laws of physics and our understanding of them don't just stop working every Monday morning when its raining outside. Reality is demonstrable, investigable, repeatable and confirmable by science, observation and experimentation.

We are justified to believe reality is real based on the current information available to us, and until evidence presents itself (i.e. aforementioned Truman Show "technical glitches", or anomalies that violate the laws of nature arise), that reveal it is not. UNTIL we have evidence this is all a simulation we have no good reason to think its artificial (except that we've watched The Matrix once too often or are going insane and should seek professional help).
There was once a man who fell asleep under a tree. He dreamed he was a butterfly.Then he woke.

Was he a man dreaming he was a butterfly,or a butterfly dreaming he was a man?

Quote:and this backward way of thinking accomplishes nothing but mental masturbation

A colourful way of saying 'solipism',the natural world view of the infant and the Ostrich. Tiger
Have fun with it, Brent, but don't go all literal on us. (Remember how well that tends to work for Christians.)

It is true that our experience of reality is mediated by consciousness. A natural explanation of perception is that it is the means by which reality (whatever is there when no one is checking) perturbs our fields of consciousness. It is one thing to note where a super-natural explanation of our consciousness-to-reality hook up could fit. Heck, go ahead and write the next spinoff of the Matrix while you're at it. But don't drink the koolade. That almost never works out well.

(January 8, 2012 at 10:35 am)aleialoura Wrote: If that's what is happening, then I want to find the asshole that wrote the code for menstruation and kick the ever loving shit out of him.
Hey, I thought that was the badge of womanhood. No need to go all on the rag about it. There is no call for any hysteria. Heck, you may get a little wistful about it when it ends.

I read somewhere that because of all the baby making hardware you pack, that women have only a third the urine carrying capacity as men. Of course once our prostates start growing you can still wind up winning that contest. Personally, I'd socialize menstration costs before anything else. It makes no sense that the half of the population that is the most inconvenienced by the whole baby making enterprise should ever be out of pocket for it. Instead of sending a drink to a lady at a bar we should send a tampax, just to let her know we care.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are philosophers jealous lovers about reality? vulcanlogician 4 519 February 10, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 5820 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3240 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Is a higher level of thought possible? Macoleco 8 964 June 10, 2019 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: no one
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 65101 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2047 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 6914 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Does perfection in reality never contain any flaws ? The Wise Joker 55 9611 February 7, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Sal
  Is It Possible for Humanity to Create a Peaceful World with Religion in it? Kernel Sohcahtoa 64 8408 November 9, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Exclamation Proof For The Materialization Of Dream Objects Into Reality A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 15 3909 August 19, 2015 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Alex K