Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cinjin v. tackattack-discussion thread
cinjin v. tackattack-discussion thread
since I still had permissions from earlier, I figure cin invited me so we'll have a debate. This is the discussion are for "Are Love and fear compatible". I won't answer any topical questions until the close of the debate, where we can open it up for more discussion.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: cinjin v. tackattack-discussion thread
Moved to Philosophy forum so people can actually comment :-)
lol oops, thanks. Guess I should work on an opener hunh! Tongue
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

Well I guese we should have published it more cinjin. My part's officially done so I'm open to discussions if anyone would like to comment.

That was a little dirty in your conclusion there cin. Instead of writing a conclusion from my rebuttals you countered my closing statement. Kudos nonetheless because it was thought provoking. I was having a difficult time balancing brevity for readability and thoroughness what about you? I think a word count would have helped, but I think I would have felt too constrained to be creative. A week between rounds seemed appropriate for composition. I could have been done sooner, but I think taking the time to digest an opponents words and taking a little extra time to write and let sit before proofing helped me quite a bit.

I rather liked the week duration between posts as well. I also liked that (although we didn't make it a rule) we didn't use hyperlinks to other sites to bolster arguments. Definitely something to be enforced in the future as well.

As for my conclusion ... yeah, I guess that was a bit of a low-jab. Maybe in the future the final conclusions could be posted at the same time simply by PM notification. Basically, whoever prepares his/her argument first lets the other know and then a mutual posting can be made. Mostly because, everybody always wants to get the last word in. Apologies.

It might also be fun to open up the forum to the rest of the members for their comment / critique /ridicule once the debate is concluded. Just an idea.

[Image: Evolution.png]

That's why we open a discussion thread as the debate starts for people to discuss. We started it via PM so it's not like there was a heated debate in a thread to bring lots of discussion and people choosing sides. It seemed to get a lot of views though.

I don't mind that you posted after I did and got the last word. It shouldn't have been directed at my conclusion though, only my rebuttal. It's no biggie we weren't really doing anything formal and it's just talk no need to apologize. Many times I wanted to add that I agreed with some of your points, but in the review it was the first to get cut for brevity.

Regardless I had fun and after a bit maybe we'll do it again!

Cheers,
Dave

(January 11, 2012 at 3:51 am)Tiberius Wrote: Moved to Philosophy forum so people can actually comment :-)

Why do mods always say where threads are moved to and never where they are moved from? We already know where it is, that information is useless!
"Sisters, you know only the north; I have traveled in the south lands. There are churches there, believe me, that cut their children too, as the people of Bolvangar did--not in the same way, but just as horribly. They cut their sexual organs, yes, both boys and girls; they cut them with knives so that they shan't feel. That is what the Church does, and every church is the same: control, destroy, obliterate every good feeling. So if a war comes, and the Church is on one side of it, we must be on the other, no matter what strange allies we find ourselves bound to."

-Ruta Skadi, The Subtle Knife
(February 7, 2012 at 10:22 pm)AthiestAtheist Wrote:
(January 11, 2012 at 3:51 am)Tiberius Wrote: Moved to Philosophy forum so people can actually comment :-)

Why do mods always say where threads are moved to and never where they are moved from? We already know where it is, that information is useless!

Everyone wants to be Captain Obvious.
Moved from the debate sub-forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 17965 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 67517 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  "Everything has a cause and an explanation" discussion. Pizza 66 15176 February 22, 2015 at 11:59 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty. Esquilax 169 30724 November 16, 2014 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Discussion w/ a Theist RE: Premarital Sex StealthySkeptic 110 19533 August 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Do we own our own lives? A discussion on the morality of suicide and voluntary slavery. Kirbmarc 36 14414 December 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: naimless
  Debate / Discussion (FYI) Tiberius 15 7096 December 29, 2011 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Blam!
  lucent vs reverendjeremiah - debate discussion tackattack 9 3939 December 10, 2011 at 8:04 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Discussion of the Deism vs. Theism debate. leo-rcc 31 14564 May 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Frank Discussion on Hate tackattack 76 31162 October 17, 2010 at 3:20 am
Last Post: ChromodynamicGirl