Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Testament vs. New Testament...wtf...
Old Testament vs. New Testament...wtf...
I'm sure this has been covered...and my search-fu is lacking...

...but...I have xtian "friends" telling me that the old testament is part of the bible...but the new testament is the updated version...the "good stuff".

Can anyone point me to a link, or something to read about the NT...to help show the same type of crazy self-defeating shit as the ot?

I hope this makes sense...I killed the rest of the tequila, and moved onto cheap beers...
Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata; hiding with the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick.
RE: Old Testament vs. New Testament...wtf...
Tell them to read Bart Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted."

They'll run shrieking for their bibles in horror.
(January 12, 2012 at 2:31 am)Minimalist Wrote: Tell them to read Bart Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted."

<Starship Troopers com-voice>

"...would you like to know more?"

Fill me in...
Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata; hiding with the candy, hoping the children do not break through with a stick.
The NT is as flimsy as the OT, full of bullshit. Consider that we get our first really good picture of hell from the NT, and that their golden boy advocates thought crimes (as well as most of the nasty shit already laid down in the OT). Jesus is, to me, probably the most deranged character in the entirety of the text...and that's saying something. He's the ultimate passive aggressive asshole (fucker force choked a tree for christ's sake....). Ask your friend to specify just what "the good stuff" is...and how they covered the faint smell of almonds in that koolaid.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 12, 2012 at 2:38 am)LunchBox Wrote:
(January 12, 2012 at 2:31 am)Minimalist Wrote: Tell them to read Bart Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted."

<Starship Troopers com-voice>

"...would you like to know more?"

Fill me in...

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Interrupted-...0061173932

Quote:Picking up where Bible expert Bart Ehrman's New York Times bestseller Misquoting Jesus left off, Jesus, Interrupted addresses the larger issue of what the New Testament actually teaches—and it's not what most people think. Here Ehrman reveals what scholars have unearthed:

The authors of the New Testament have diverging views about who Jesus was and how salvation works

The New Testament contains books that were forged in the names of the apostles by Christian writers who lived decades later

Jesus, Paul, Matthew, and John all represented fundamentally different religions

Established Christian doctrines—such as the suffering messiah, the divinity of Jesus, and the trinity—were the inventions of still later theologians

These are not idiosyncratic perspectives of just one modern scholar. As Ehrman skillfully demonstrates, they have been the standard and widespread views of critical scholars across a full spectrum of denominations and traditions. Why is it most people have never heard such things? This is the book that pastors, educators, and anyone interested in the Bible have been waiting for—a clear and compelling account of the central challenges we face when attempting to reconstruct the life and message of Jesus.

I used to think that the OT was the nasty one and the NT was the one about all that hippie crap...But, then I read it. It is just as evil if not more so than the OT, as it presents itself in a nice way, and tries to preach love for everyone, whilst also hating everyone different.

At least the OT is a bit more honest about hatred towards people different from yourself.
Cunt
I like how fundies will say that the New Testament is what matters, and since Jesus died for our sins and created a new covenant, all that OT stuff doesn't matter such as offering sacrifices or not eating shellfish or pork.

But somehow the ten commandments and prohibitions against homosexuality still apply.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
LunchBox, your name reminds me of Jay and Silent Bob.

Min,you know what you are don't you?

You are an incurable optimist with a touching faith in the good sense of others.

I recently suggested that a literalist on another forum read "Misquoting Jesus". By his response one would think I told him to go sodomise his mother. Thinking

(January 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm)padraic Wrote:

Min,you know what you are don't you?

You are an incurable optimist with a touching faith in the good sense of others.

I recently suggested that a literalist on another forum read "Misquoting Jesus". By his response one would think I told him to go sodomise his mother. Thinking

Imagine how you'd feel about reading "The Case for Christ" or any of Stroebel's other drivel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8379 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  WTF is Spiritual Warfare? vulcanlogician 53 7282 December 16, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6152 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The TSA ain't screening for demons ?? WTF !!! vorlon13 17 3213 March 5, 2016 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  WTF? Minimalist 13 2104 February 17, 2016 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 35578 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 16642 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 105459 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 10325 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 22035 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus