Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Independence could revitalise Scotland – and England too
Independence could revitalise Scotland – and England too
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/...NETTXT9038

Quote:The debate on independence versus the union has already seen battlelines drawn, with the political camps anticipating the sound and fury to come. But Scottish independence and self-government are not about an old-fashioned nationalist movement drawing from reactionary ideas, but a profoundly modern, pro-European, centre-left politics.
Cunt
RE: Independence could revitalise Scotland – and England too
Woe to the vanquished...lol. Just ribbing you buddy. Independence from the UK...hmn...

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Hmmm, I'm not terribly swayed whether this IS totally a good thing. England would certainly be on a downward slope in European relations if this were to happen?

Not that you care you kilt wearing gingers.
A great outcome of Scottish independence would be that Labour instantly lose 41 seats in parliament, meaning their chances of getting re-elected and destroying the economy again become very slim.
(January 14, 2012 at 11:33 am)Tiberius Wrote: A great outcome of Scottish independence would be that Labour instantly lose 41 seats in parliament, meaning their chances of getting re-elected and destroying the economy again become very slim.

Which would a total disaster, letting the robber baron tories destroy the country like they always do.

Were all in it together boys.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Tiberius, they had a majority of 179ish in '97 167 in 2001, so the majority even without Scotland it would have been 138 and 126.

Destroying the economy might have something to those irresponsible policies originally bought in by Thatcher and her pal Reagan continued by New Labour, or maybe the banks had something to do with it? Not sure if you noticed but the UK did well under a Labour government compared to other big countries in Europe, and suffered like the rest of the first world, granted Brown/Blair made some awful mistakes, but who didn't suffer?

[Image: 800px-GDP_per_capita_big_four_Western_Europe.PNG]
(January 14, 2012 at 11:44 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Which would a total disaster, letting the robber baron tories destroy the country like they always do.

All political parties 'fuck it up'. That is to say the two political parties who only ever have a chance of really getting into government.

It's a rotation of fucking up isn't it? Labour goes in, fuck shit up, people get sick of it, vote the tories in, they are left with shit, get moaned at for making tough decisions, which they have to make due to labour, so labour gets put back in, they fuck it up again, then tories come back in, tories get moaned at, labour, tories, labour, tories.

That's why I couldn't really give a shit about politics. It's all the fucking same, until anyone shows me different then what's the fucking point.

(January 14, 2012 at 11:44 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
(January 14, 2012 at 11:33 am)Tiberius Wrote: A great outcome of Scottish independence would be that Labour instantly lose 41 seats in parliament, meaning their chances of getting re-elected and destroying the economy again become very slim.

Which would a total disaster, letting the robber baron tories destroy the country like they always do.

Adrian LIKES the robber barons. I think he wants to be one when he grows up!
Gerry Hassan views Scotland through tartan tinted specs.

There is so much wrong with that article, that i wouldn't know where to start.

For example 'Independence would also give Scotland a greater voice internationally'. It seems obvious to me that we have a large say in international organisations - major players in NATO and the EU, members of the UNSC. As part of the UK of course.

If we do decide to break off from the UK we will be a tiny voice, possibly admitted to the EU, but quite possibly not. Do we want to join NATO? The separatists are spectacularly muddy when it comes to defence matters.

As for maturing and growing up? That is meaningless claptrap, I am grown up and leave the growing up to the kids these days.

For the life of me I can see no good reason to leave the UK, and bitterly resent the failure of the Unionist parties in Scotland to produce a decent leadership. Undoubtedly salmond is head and shoulders above any other politician in Scotland, but that's not saying much.
I've never really understood the point of arguing things that are incredibly unlikely.
[Image: sig3-2.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which nonpolitician could be president? Fake Messiah 8 889 January 16, 2023 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4373 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Is there a continent in history where Britain never went too? Sweden83 21 1164 December 5, 2020 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Politics is a fairy tale about England Interaktive 6 909 December 27, 2019 at 5:31 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Will I get arrested for wearing this slogan in England? Duty 43 3763 December 19, 2018 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  I’m sick of the far left too Losty 93 4054 November 27, 2018 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Just when I thought that Donald Trump could not get any dumber... Jehanne 16 2174 November 27, 2018 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Does the media give too Trump too much attention GODZILLA 9 1320 October 21, 2018 at 3:04 am
Last Post: Jade-Green Stone
  Too bad we can't make a pilgrimage from 'Murica Foxaèr 8 1069 September 9, 2018 at 8:06 am
Last Post: brewer
  So He Could Tolerate Everything Else But This? Minimalist 4 695 August 13, 2018 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Brian37