Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill gates on tax.
Bill gates on tax.
He doesn't believe that he, or others like him pay enough.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/25...31920.html
RE: Bill gates on tax.
I think most people pay too much. Bill Gates would do much more good with his money if he keeps donating it to charity rather than giving it to the government. Last I checked, charities don't go to war and try not to spend ridiculous amounts of money for no reason.
Others as rich as Bill Gates? How of them are there in the US?Thinking
I'd wish that nobody would have to pay higher taxes, but with our fucked up government and crappy economy, I think they should shell out a few bucks and help their country out. If the economy does collapse, do they think their money is going to be worth anything?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
One should pay tax according to one's income, that much is true.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(January 26, 2012 at 5:12 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: One should pay tax according to one's income, that much is true.

Indeed.

Plus, aren't Muslims OBLIGED by Quranic admonition to give a fixed percentage of their income to the poor? (2.5% I think)

(January 26, 2012 at 7:37 pm)padraic Wrote:
(January 26, 2012 at 5:12 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: One should pay tax according to one's income, that much is true.

Indeed.

Plus, aren't Muslims OBLIGED by Quranic admonition to give a fixed percentage of their income to the poor? (2.5% I think)
Well, religious "taxes" are not collected by the government.
People here pay their usual taxes, and we're taxed so much on everything, I'd say if we were to pay zakat, we'd have to cut off ounces of our own flesh to give to the poor.
Only the rather more wealthy and more devout individuals do so.
Those in rural areas give it out from their own agricultural yields, rather than in hard currency.

Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(January 26, 2012 at 8:14 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote:
(January 26, 2012 at 7:37 pm)padraic Wrote:

Indeed.

Well, religious "taxes" are not collected by the government.
People here pay their usual taxes, and we're taxed so much on everything, I'd say if we were to pay zakat, we'd have to cut off ounces of our own flesh to give to the poor.
Only the rather more wealthy and more devout individuals do so.
Those in rural areas give it out from their own agricultural yields, rather than in hard currency.

I looked it up. The answer seems to be "not necessarily"

Although Zakat is one of the Five Pillars of Islam (I'd forgotten) it is not absolute:

From from Wikipedia:

Quote:Zakat

Zakat or alms-giving is the practice of charitable giving by Muslims based on accumulated wealth, and is obligatory for all who are able to do so

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Pillars_of_Islam
Yeah. We all pay too much taxes.
Fuck infrastructure, education, defense, police, firemen, scientific research, clean water, clean air, basic guarenteed freedoms, human rights, edible food, and so on...

As long as I get to keep that 15% of my income from my revanue sources, that's real freedom.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Quote:Although Zakat is one of the Five Pillars of Islam (I'd forgotten) it is not absolute:
Well, the pillar thing is valid for sunni islam.
As is the pilgrimage. However, most moslems never actually visit the holy lands, not that they don't want to, but mainly because the Saudi Government is such a fucking thief.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A fair tax rate onlinebiker 57 2479 October 11, 2021 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Bill paying and automated vs real person on phone Brian37 36 1964 September 2, 2020 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
Big Grin Happy Tax Day! John V 18 3550 April 17, 2018 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  So I called my electric co to pay my bill and..... Brian37 9 1714 July 19, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  You die one day and you reach the heavenly gates, God says to you, " ErGingerbreadMandude 39 9111 June 16, 2017 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Regina
  Bill Nye Saves the World Nanny 15 1846 April 27, 2017 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Athene
  The legal criminal enterprise that is tax exempt: organized religion 4moola 2 715 August 29, 2015 at 11:36 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Anybody else hate Bill O'reilly KUSA 12 1971 June 21, 2015 at 11:42 am
Last Post: polar bear
  Really need advice regarding my Landlord not paying Property Tax MJ the Skeptical 34 6895 June 19, 2015 at 11:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Bill Maher Elskidor 12 1927 September 17, 2014 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain