Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 1:15 am

Poll: Tax day:
This poll is closed.
I love it!
50.00%
2 50.00%
I hate it!
0%
0 0%
Fuck off, it's not even tax day where I live
50.00%
2 50.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Tax Day!
Big Grin 
Happy Tax Day!
As I work in taxes, this is the most wonderful day of the year! I've been averaging 68 hour weeks for the last 13 weeks. We have lunch coming at 1:00, then go home and the rest of the week the office is closed.  Smile
RE: Happy Tax Day!
I always thought it was the 15th of April.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 17, 2018 at 9:48 am)alpha male Wrote: As I work in taxes, this is the most wonderful day of the year! I've been averaging 68 hour weeks for the last 13 weeks. We have lunch coming at 1:00, then go home and the rest of the week the office is closed.  Smile

How Ironic you work in that field with your political economic views.

No, nobody likes paying taxes. But it is why we have our police, firemen, art museums, libraries, schools, and military. 

I was actually shocked that I got money back considering what my mom left me. I took it sure, but only because it is a one time inheritance I have to spread out until I am eligible for social security. BUT, if I made the same per year, every year, for a job, I wouldn't bitch one fucking bit about paying more. Again, I was shocked even in this case considering what my mom left me.

Our tax codes favor the top who don't need them.

(April 17, 2018 at 9:51 am)Lutrinae Wrote: I always thought it was the 15th of April.

Usually it is, but laws have changed but still better to get that shit done way before the 15th in any case.
(April 17, 2018 at 9:51 am)Lutrinae Wrote: I always thought it was the 15th of April.

If that falls on a weekend, it moves to Monday.

BUT, a few years back Washington DC created Emancipation Day on 4.16, and Washington DC holidays count as holidays for federal tax purposes, so this year it's the 17th.
I don't have to file for a while yet, as I don't owe anything, and because of my income, I'm not legally required to file a return. I do so basically to get my renter's property tax refund.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Yeah I didn't make any money in 2017. Just paid medical bills. A lot. Of medical bills.

My aunt's an accountant, I'm sure she's been looking forward to this.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
Thank you, taxpayers.
(April 17, 2018 at 10:13 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Thank you, taxpayers.

Thank you for your service.
(April 17, 2018 at 10:07 am)Jörmungandr Wrote: I don't have to file for a while yet, as I don't owe anything, and because of my income, I'm not legally required to file a return.  I do so basically to get my renter's property tax refund.

Seriously, I hope that advice is from a licensed tax accountant or lawyer. Not saying you are wrong, but for the general public, it is well known you still have to file even if you own nothing. 

I will say this, it is a myth that IRS agents are out to get anyone. Even if one makes a mistake, or forgets to file, they are pretty good, even if you owe, about working with you. Same with banks and credit card companies. It isn't that you should do those things alone, no, but the worst thing you can do with any of those entities is to obstruct, ignore.

I missed paying my property tax and that piled up on me. But nobody busted down my door or had me arrested. I am caught up on that though. 

This actually reminds me of a recent story, unrelated, but still dispels the bullshit idea that government is always bad.

https://bep.gov/services/currencyredemption.html

There is a government agency, that when one gets stupid, and their money gets destroyed, say by fire, or termites or water, if you save enough of that left over, you can send it in and get the damaged money replaced. Point is, humans work in government, not robots, and not every individual who works in government has the same political views or economics.

I know that was a side issue, but still. I really hate how the GOP has vilified anyone who dares suggest we should do things better. 

Point is, taxes are NOT robbery and neither is social security or medicaid or medicare. The only real argument that can be had about any government budget is how to spend it and what to spend it on effectively.

I don't mind. It is worth it to me to keep others stable.

Now while I got money back, I still pay taxes on everything I buy so that does end up going to the big pot. 

If we had universal health care, this wouldn't be an issue.
(April 17, 2018 at 10:17 am)alpha male Wrote:

Thank you for your service.

"Thinks for thanking of me."  Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Happy Thansgiving Day thread! Jehanne 10 699 November 24, 2022 at 1:53 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Happy Veterans Day... arewethereyet 28 1636 November 14, 2022 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Happy Father's Day!! Jehanne 24 1473 June 22, 2022 at 9:01 am
Last Post: brewer
  Happy Mother's Day. arewethereyet 7 513 May 9, 2022 at 4:45 am
Last Post: anlogue
  Happy Star Wars Day onlinebiker 7 409 May 5, 2022 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Happy Dyngus Day onlinebiker 5 346 April 18, 2022 at 8:02 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A fair tax rate onlinebiker 57 2341 October 11, 2021 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Fine - I'll do it - Happy Whatever You Celebrate Eve/Day arewethereyet 20 1088 December 25, 2020 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Happy RUSH day! no one 15 1135 December 23, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Ranjr
  Happy Star Wars Day onlinebiker 7 803 May 4, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Duty