Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Understanding/Sympathizing/forbearing people
Understanding/Sympathizing/forbearing people
I think many people have a problem when they have a view point they feel strongly about, to really condemn zealously people of opposing views.

Most people grew up looking for the answers with their parents. The bond family, the effect of culture, nationalism, and other factors, influence what person will believe.

People develop a bias. Some people change their minds, and when they do, even if their reasoning isn't perfect, will feel very strong about it.

What I realize now, is most people are riding some tide, and will never go against it.

Sometimes a person goes against a viewpoint he held, and then becomes passionate against the people whom hold that view.

I think we need to understand that people don't know why they believe what they believe. People reasoning are not perfect, and they hold beliefs on irrational basis all the time. I see no reason to be upset at these people. I see no reason to disrespect these people.

I think we need to sympathize with each other and realize humans in general have not been able to escape illogical irrational thinking.

I think we also need to try put ourselves in other people's shoes, try to understand their thinking, even if your ideas are against, and sympathize with people, even if they are enemies of our people.

Everyone naturally when they pick view tend to believe they are right, but I see no need to be so zealous against others. Everyone is experiencing the world in their own way, and we shouldn't look down upon people, but sympathize and forbear them.

People don't try to be stupid, don't try to be irrational, don't try to be immoral. In fact, people tend to try the opposite.

A Muslim or a Christian may condemn a person for their beliefs, not sympathize with a people holding a wrong cosmology, or failing to believe in the "right religion" and "true path", because this is what their scriptures teach, but what reason do Atheists have of being so zealous against people for wrong views?

I am actually quite disgusted by how little compassion/respect/love/forbearance is shown to non-atheists on this forum. I hope most atheists are not like the people on this forum.

RE: Understanding/Sympathizing/forbearing people
Oh, I do hate threads like these.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't agree with you on most of it. If you want to have sympathy for theists whom seek out atheists for conversation, trolling, whatever... have at it pal. Not everyone here is a total asshole, and even those who are aren't assholes ALL the time. Most of us have dealt with prejudice, ignorance, intolerance, and disrespect from theists, some of us have dealt with it our whole lives.

Some people have no other outlet for their frustrations with theists. They come here to vent, and discuss things with like-minded individuals who won't think they're a horrible person for saying true things, like "there are no such thing as gods", and "Creationists are idiots".

What you're suggesting is that the posters here, on this forum, should contain ourselves, and should not speak our minds. Show respect, you say? I show respect to them all the time in my actual life, and you want me to come to my haven, and continue to respect the kind of ignorance that drove me crazy all day? How fucking respectful is it of you, to come here and judge us as people, as if you've walked in all our shoes, and are privy to every aspect of our individual characters?

Feel sorry for theists who come to an atheist forum looking for debate? Oh, believe me, I do feel very sorry for them. Treat them with love, compassion, and respect? When deserved only.

Hear, hear!
Interesting because I see where you both are coming from. I guess it is relative, dependent upon the person and circumstances they live in. For the most part I think Mystic Knight has the right attitude we should all try to hold. I know that would be Buddha's advice to always aspire for compassion and respect. But there is always room for exception and a whole lot of play on a rather harmless forum as aleialoura writes also. Some religious trolls do need to be put into their place lol. It seems to me that atheism needs to retain it's sharper edge to cut through alot of the bullshit that some Xtian fundies try to market and sell to this more discerning audience.
You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.

Buddha FSM Grin

I appreciate the "let's just all get along" sentiment, and general concern of the OP. As a theist member I know full well I'm in the lion's den so to speak (pardon the Biblical reference). This is a place for a lot of things and one of them, like aleialoura said, is to vent. I actually catch less flack for my beliefs here than on the Christian Forum I am also a member of. All I had ever met in other atheist forums and in RL are the "anti-theist" on steroids stereotypes the OP is alluding to. This forum has done tremendous strides in helping me better understand the majority of atheism and atheists. I have no quams with the occasional lash out from bitter atheists, it's part of the reason I'm here and I accept that. It requires a bit of a thick skin and losing the freedoms to fully express myself. For instance, a lot of people would be offended if I ended a PM or conversation with "God Bless you and yours", even though I consciously attempt very hard to genuinely have positive thoughts about someone after an exchange. The atheist of this community are far more rational and kind than I anticipated when coming here, and I appreciate their patience with me in the begining. Some of them are stellar examples of what a rational, intelligent and compassionate person (regardless of their theology) should be.

What I don't like is talk like "our enemies" or "those people" while out of the other end of the conversation you're basicly saying "all people aren't perfect or rational". So you think that's respectful and intellectually honest? I think it's still condemning people, just less zealously. Until we can breack down more of those , "us" and "them" walls, we have a long way, as a society, to go.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I don't servitude very well...least of all towards theists.

Quite frankly I am sick and tired of trying to "Fit-in/ Get along" with theists as I am NEVER seen as good enough and it really all comes down to a power play.

Respect? For what? A fairy story?? Get a reality check!! Angry

It all comes down to how a person will present themselves in a place I consider my refuge and home. Start shitting all over the place and you will be treated accordingly..or is that what YOU MysticKnight allow people to do in YOUR home??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I can respect a person quite well and still insult the ever-living fuck out of a particular idea they have.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
@KN- because I know you hate PM,s I'll just say it here. For the record and despite our history of disagreement, you're better than most. Despite my mutual respect for you I'd be sorely upset if you chose to ignore me as I've grown fond of your posts and our thought provoking banter. Anyone who tells you you're not good enough, is usually making up for their own short comings. I'd have some drinks with you over at the house whenever you want to come visit! Big Grin
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(February 7, 2012 at 7:05 am)tackattack Wrote: @KN- because I know you hate PM,s I'll just say it here.

Please do...I do not answer PM's generally speaking. if you can't ssay it on the open forum then don't say it at all. There are a few exceptions to that rule of mine but there you have it

(February 7, 2012 at 7:05 am)tackattack Wrote: For the record and despite our history of disagreement, you're better than most.

Confused Fall Compliments?? Ummm Thank you I think

(February 7, 2012 at 7:05 am)tackattack Wrote: Despite my mutual respect for you I'd be sorely upset if you chose to ignore me as I've grown fond of your posts and our thought provoking banter.

Somehow I can't ignore you or G-C...many others I have no reservations about.

(February 7, 2012 at 7:05 am)tackattack Wrote: Anyone who tells you you're not good enough, is usually making up for their own short comings.

Story of my life there mate... I do find that the majority of xtians are very low on the intelligence scale and seldom ever adhere to their own doctrine.

(February 7, 2012 at 7:05 am)tackattack Wrote: I'd have some drinks with you over at the house whenever you want to come visit! Big Grin

And the same courtesy is extended to your good self and your lady of course... so when are you coming to Western Australia?? I hear the Cruise Ships are doing some great deals.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(February 7, 2012 at 5:30 am)tackattack Wrote: Until we can breack down more of those , "us" and "them" walls, we have a long way, as a society, to go.

How do you propose to ignore fundamental differences of opinion? If "us" and "them" are different, then we are different. That's reality. God forbid (in a manner of speaking...) that we would not have fundamental differences. It would be a very boring world: for one thing we wouldn't be debating this here and now...

The differences of opinion between theists and atheists are of course so fundamental that Mark Twain's motto applies: "east is east and west is west, and never the twain shall meet."
There's nothing wrong with that unless you deny that reality instead of accepting it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding This "One Nation Under God" Thing Michael Schubert 4 2166 July 29, 2013 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Punishing God vs Forbearing/Merciful God Mystic 16 8602 March 10, 2012 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger