Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Businesses taking advantage
Businesses taking advantage
Thought I'd bring this up because I wanna.
When I was on Job seekers, I was sent to do work trials for a stupid amount of time. 4 to 8 weeks of full-time work for fuck all. Failer to do so will result in the loss of your benefits. For up to 6 months apparently.

Now I said that I'd only agree if it meant part time and doing something I'd love. So they set me up with wild life work. It was what they said "a work trial" but the wild life trust told me upfront that there is no possibility of actual paid work. But I wasn't too bothered, I loved playing with the axe and moving logs. Did it for a full 8 weeks, gained a lot of skill, fitness and experience. I didn't have a problem because I really do think it's fair that I do something for society while on job seekers. I didn't like the fact that the job centre lied to me but I left it as that. At least the WLT was honest from the start. The place closed down weeks after I finished my 8 weeks. Closed down by the council due to cuts. Real shame because kids loved visiting the place. I had also planned to continue working there for another 8 weeks.

Now this is where things go wrong...the job centre phoned and asked if I'd be interested in another "work trial", so I said 'yeah!'. They went on to say that I'll be starting from 8Am and finish at 5PM all week for 4 weeks, yes all seven days! Told me there was a guaranteed job at the end of it. Now it is unfair that I work that many hours and that many days in the week for no pay. It doesn't make up for my benefits. It's over doing it. However I was curious to see if there was any truth to the claim. For three days I was doing hard crafting. It was on the fourth day that I really started to question things, I started talking to other workers. Turns out, many unemployed workers have come with the false promise of paid work at the end of it. They were used up and spat out. Free labour for a corrupt business.

So I walked out and had a right go at the job centre. The Job centre had sent many there, they knew. After some arguing, and a threat from them, they told me to work at Matalan for 4 weeks.
I only agreed to see what I'll find. I was extremely suspicious and later to find I was right to be. The job centre sent many to work there, many worked for months on end only to get fuck all. I didn't have to ask any questions, I saw many trial workers disappear once there trial was up. Spent 2 weeks of my 4 and once I had seen enough, I walked up to the job centre and asked to sign off. After which, I did things my way and ended up back on the path I was supposed to be on. Told them to fuck themselves. The same to Matalan.

Throughout all this, they threatened me about the 6 month ban while I was working. Demanding that I go out and about and look for full time work while doing full time work with long hours.

Found this and it does confirm the corruption. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/n...employment
Mentions how businesses say they thought it was only volunteer work...total BULLSHIT! I had the fucking manager tell me that there is this big chance for full time work. It was slave labour.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
RE: Businesses taking advantage
Benefits?
Work trials?
I read the thing that you posted, and from what I understand it's somewhat a part of the welfare system, yes?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
How was it slave labour...the government were paying you benefits right? I mean, if you were actually working and getting no money I'd agree with you, but I thought people on jobseekers got paid a specific amount every 2 weeks?

In any case, I'd argue this is the problem with the welfare system; it's internally corrupt. The government have no interest in finding people jobs when they can just pay them welfare and drain the taxes of the employed. At the end of the day, everyone loses out; the tax payers and the unemployed.

Whether this is a case of business taking advantage is debatable; but it's definitely a case of the government taking advantage. After all, business can't strip you of your welfare allowance...the government can.
(February 12, 2012 at 8:08 pm)Tiberius Wrote: How was it slave labour...the government were paying you benefits right? I mean, if you were actually working and getting no money I'd agree with you, but I thought people on jobseekers got paid a specific amount every 2 weeks?

In any case, I'd argue this is the problem with the welfare system; it's internally corrupt. The government have no interest in finding people jobs when they can just pay them welfare and drain the taxes of the employed. At the end of the day, everyone loses out; the tax payers and the unemployed.

Whether this is a case of business taking advantage is debatable; but it's definitely a case of the government taking advantage. After all, business can't strip you of your welfare allowance...the government can.

I do agree that the unemployed should do something for society. I also mentioned I agree and have no problems with it. However, being lied to by the jobcentre and by the stores while working for unacceptable hours for the tiny pay you get. About £50 to £53 a week. It doesn't cover the hours of labour. You don't get any extra for the work load. Your working full time for 2 months for...nothing. Only the store gains, you don't. Also it's not helping society, it's working for a large business for nothing.

But yeah, the jobcentre and the government have some fucking answering to do.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I suspect the problem stems from the fact that big businesses want to hire people on their own, and most of the time they don't need extra people. The government can't order them to hire people, so instead they offer them free labour if they'll consider hiring some of them at the end of the trial period. No company in their right minds would turn down free labour, but of course they are then not obligated to hire them either.

One possible solution would be for the government to track the amount of free labour given against the hire rate of those people. For instance, if a company continually refuses to hire people at the end of their trial, then that company should lose out on further free labour. Whereas companies that hire a good proportion of the free labour at the end of their trial will be granted extra free labour.

What are your qualifications btw? I know that's a rather person question, but I'm just interested if I can help you find a job. Feel free to PM me if you need to; I'm very good at rewriting people's CV's so they look epic. Exhibit A: http://adrianhayter.com/documents/cv.pdf
(February 12, 2012 at 8:21 pm)Tiberius Wrote: What are your qualifications btw? I know that's a rather person question, but I'm just interested if I can help you find a job. Feel free to PM me if you need to; I'm very good at rewriting people's CV's so they look epic. Exhibit A: http://adrianhayter.com/documents/cv.pdf

It's the lack of honesty I dislike the most. At least with both wild life parks I was told right up. The Matalan managers looked me in the eyes and lied to me. That pissed me off.

Don't have many qualifications. Literacy is good, many good skills in labour. Especially with wild life.
My work right now isn't likely to hold. Cut backs are a bitch. Any job that involves labour, specificity with the wild life would be best. Currently looking for such work places now. The closer it is the better. Hate public transport. People smell. Big Grin

What is your profession anyways?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
Theyre fucking you man. This isnt a big business vs. big government problem. BOTH are on and the same, and they are fucking you. They are taking other workers money to pay you substandard and make profit from your outrageous work hours.
(February 12, 2012 at 9:03 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: What is your profession anyways?
General labourer. I'm best when it comes to hard physical labour.

(February 12, 2012 at 9:56 pm)reverendjeremiah Wrote: Theyre fucking you man. This isnt a big business vs. big government problem. BOTH are on and the same, and they are fucking you. They are taking other workers money to pay you substandard and make profit from your outrageous work hours.

Agree with you completely. They were just fucking with me. But no more.
Work trials were supposed to be a max of 2 weeks. Realistically, a week really, not 8 fucking weeks of full time work with no pay. That's wrong.
Corruption plain and simple.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One advantage of small towns. onlinebiker 40 3061 May 14, 2019 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Anyone thinking of taking part in Movember? Cod 29 2334 October 29, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Taking a break Godscreated 3 282 July 19, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Joods
  Stupid humans & risk taking Brian37 20 4167 March 25, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: rskovride
  I like to be taken advantage of. Edwardo Piet 5 548 December 18, 2017 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Idiot's guide to taking care of a frying pan? Chad32 29 4686 February 23, 2017 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Heart Important To All My Friends: Seriously taking an AF break. Edwardo Piet 49 3996 December 5, 2016 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Parents not taking there crying child outside at a restaurant or store Sterben 65 6119 May 2, 2016 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Sterben
  Taking care of elderly family being only child. Brian37 22 3848 December 12, 2015 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Moms not taking my atheism well. IanHulett 7 1214 January 15, 2015 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Strider