Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Saw: Special God Edition
Saw: Special God Edition
This is just a little something to chew over I'd like to throw out there. Bet no-one can guess what I was watching when I came up with it.

Anyway, so as far as I understand it, the deal goes a little something like this:

We've got complete free will to choose to accept the GodCorp™ of JC and his dad into our hearts and be saved. It's not coercion, it's a completely free choice; but if we don't choose correctly, then we will instead have chosen to suffer terrible punishment as a consequence.

Well, feel free to correct me here (and I'm sure someone will), but isn't that essentially the basis behind every game in the Saw movies?

For those who've never seen them, the games usually run like this. You wake to find yourself chained, strapped or bolted into some ingeniously cruel device - a 'trap' - engineered to cause maximum pain and suffering. A creepy voice on a tape tells you why you have been judged to be in this situation (usually some perceived character flaw about not appreciating the life you have) and gives you the rules of the game; most often you will have a very limited time to inflict some terrible mutilation on yourself to get free of the mechanism before it kills you or you bleed to death. Whatever the outcome, you chose it yourself. Even your playing the game is a result of your life choices (at least as judged by John Kramer aka the Jigsaw Killer).

There are some pretty fundamental differences between the two scenarios, however. Though judging you on them, Jigsaw isn't actually responsible for your life choices in the way that JC/YHWH is meant to be; he is not regarded as our creator who knows everything that will happen in advance. Also, Jigsaw only selects those whom he deems as needing salvation; GodCorp™ apparently holds everyone culpable - innocent or guilty, it cuts no ice.

Finally, the biggest and most telling difference: if you choose to play his game and actually succeed in escaping with your life, albeit with maybe a few missing parts, then as far as Jigsaw is concerned you win. Game over and you go free, wiser, probably shorter, and with a new-found appreciation for the world and your place in it. The GodCorp™ version? Even if you win, you lose. Either you've surrendered your will, your rationality and your freedom to take responsibilty for your life or you're condemned to be tortured forever. The trap is inescapable, the game unwinnable. In the context of the Saw franchise, Jigsaw despised those of his followers who devised this kind of game and ensured that they faced his signature brand of judgement themselves.

In short, the Jigsaw Killer is, in his own way, much more of a moral teacher and demonstrates so much more compassion for his victims than JC and the whole GodCorp™. If nothing else, it shows that our capacity for creating stories is many orders of magnitude more sophisticated than it used to be.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Saw: Special God Edition
Damn... I think you've just convinced me to *watch* Saw.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The most disturbing image I saw in my life WinterHold 86 8348 April 16, 2023 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 9470 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What makes Christian God so special? causal code 16 4560 August 25, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Going to be brutally honest [Religion Edition] dyresand 3 1403 August 25, 2016 at 5:25 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Christians think they have special rights GoHalos1993 10 2920 October 29, 2015 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Let's play Pascals wager expanded edition dyresand 4 1957 September 24, 2015 at 6:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19337 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  God's Special Logic Michael Schubert 16 3345 March 31, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Ryantology
  Fundies say the darndest things AF Edition Mystical 8 3446 November 23, 2013 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  AF Hall of Shame (Theist edition) fr0d0 286 84561 May 19, 2013 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Faith No More