Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 10:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Self Help/Self Improvment
Self Help/Self Improvment
My mother has this odd obsession with self help books and movies and whatnot. It's cool and everything, she can do her thing, but now she's got me reading some of it, haha.

Is self-help a bad thing, really? I mean, more power to you if it works and you want to be a better "you", awesome, but how do you know when the self help auther isn't bullshitting you?
RE: Self Help/Self Improvment
I have read shitloads of self-help books and I think my own personal conclusion is...

..despite the fact they may help SOME people..

...I think they're obvious bullshit that wastes your money...OR bullshit that's just plain bullshit that wastes your money.

And I also think the term 'self-help' doesn't make any sense as George Carlin says.

I'm totally gonna paraphrase him now cos I can't remember it exactly...

He basically explains though how if you could do it yourself then you wouldn't need help..and you are getting help from books which are written by other people so - that's help! If you could do it by yourSELF then you wouldn't need help! So what exactly is self-help? It makes it sound important but I think the whole concept is bullshit lol.

EvF
I think Stephen Fry summed it up nicely:
Stephen Fry Wrote:I almost wanted once to publish a self-help book saying "how to be happy, a guaranteed success". People would buy this huge book, and it's all blank pages, but the first page would just say "Stop feeling sorry for yourself, and you will be happy". You could then use the rest of the book to write interesting stuff that you've been thinking about.
Haha yeah, I thought of that in the back of mine too actually. I always think of that Tongue - I saw that on TV twice and on youtube too. Stephen fry pwnz. Stephen fry is just plain awesome Smile

I also thought that if I ever wrote one myself, it would be ironically about how "All self-help books are shit, including this one - you want a good piece of self-help? Don't buy self-help books! They're bullshit!! And they're wasting your money; just as I'm wasting yours NOW if you bought this bullshit self-help book that is a self-help book itself that 'simply' warns you to not buy self-help books because they're full of shit (they're just plain bullshit)."

It would be about something like that lol. As a summary or whatever lol.

EvF
Agree with the guys above, self help books are just a waste of money.
- Science is not trying to create an answer like religion, it tries to find an answer.
Ya, this is such crap. Self-help books are not worthless. The problem is that there are too many worthless self-help books out there that give the genre a bad rap. There are some good ones that are worth reading and applying.
'Think and Grow Rich' is probably a pretty good self help-book.
'The Secret' is a BAD self-help book.

To give you an example. I have ADHD and was having problems in college. I'm also a vet so I went to the VA mental health for help. I was referred to a neuropsychologist with whom I worked for months. She helped me in a lot of ways and recommended a few 'self-help' books to me as well. I got a lot out of the experience.

The only thing a self-help book does is pretty much lay out a whole bunch of new ideas, or thinking or in many cases common sense that you just never picked up.

The almost insurmountable problem is sorting through all the crap to find the gold. There's so many wishy-washy books about spiritual junk, god, or other nonsense. There are some great ones though, and you can glean a lot of knowledge from these books.

So, be careful in what you chose, but don't blow off an entire section of the library because of a few bad apples.
Yeah, all the crap out there doesn't outweigh the positives of self knowledge. Certainly not all self help books will help you know more about yourself... But it's commendable...
Just don't see a psychiatrist they'll steal your money. If you get to feeling just tell yourself to nut up or shut, it always works.
The more questions we ask, the less answers we'll have.
Self Help books may be bullshit but they make great gifts for people you don't like.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

I feel the best thing a person can do is to get to know themselves and just WHAT motivates them......this is worth more than any amout of books / programs.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 754 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Low self esteem, feelings of worthlessness, and lack of purpose Catholic_Lady 63 9076 August 2, 2017 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Self Wipe Toilet Tissue Aid KUSA 112 32986 May 13, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Self-Identities as a Mermaid Neo-Scholastic 15 1969 January 18, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The-Boring-Self-Absorbed-Rambely-Bullshit-Thread Edwardo Piet 38 5444 April 19, 2016 at 2:28 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Your self in real life vs on AF Catholic_Lady 94 12838 February 5, 2016 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Self-racism? Dystopia 69 12085 February 9, 2015 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  What advice would you give to your younger self? Rayaan 87 14370 July 4, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Self Image Cinjin 44 9631 March 18, 2014 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  [split] I like to necropost :) (was Feminist reports rape threat made by self) Mothonis 6 3733 December 31, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Violet